San Francisco /
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Retool is both an interface used to build internal tools and the runtime for those apps. It's used simultaneously by technically-demanding engineers and productivity-focused end users. As you can imagine, it's critical that we build a performant, usable, and powerful front end.
As a front-end engineer at Retool, you’ll be building a platform that thousands of customers rely on to run their operations.
We have a small but mighty engineering team. We’ve done a lot with a little, but there’s much more work to be done to continue our fast-paced growth, we need to hire a world-class engineering team. You’ll help us get there by owning end-to-end projects, talking with customers, and ultimately supporting the growth of Retool (both the product and the business).
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Front-end engineers at Retool collaborate closely with our design team to craft a product that delights our users. You will help extend the core functionality of our application editor, which requires both attention to detail and an understanding of performance implications. To keep Retool blazingly fast we may end up experimenting with Core React functionality, Web Workers and WebAssembly.
New features often start off as customer ideas. You’ll take those ideas and scope, build, test, document and ship them to production . Outside of customer feedback, you’ll also weigh in on our product roadmap which is set collaboratively by design and engineering.
You’ll be working primarily in React and Typescript with a Node.js backend.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
At Retool, we work cross-functionally with designers, customer engineers, and support engineers, as well as the marketing and sales teams. Engineers make a lot of product decisions and you’ll partner frequently with designers as you scope and build your projects. Everyone on our design team is comfortable both in Figma as well as code.
We're a hard-working, passionate bunch who are motivated by collaboration, strong results, and bringing the impact of Retool to our customers. When we’re in the office, we enjoy eating lunch (and occasionally dinner!) together, and swapping stories. But at the root of it all, we come together to show our customers and not-quite-yet customers how Retool can make them and their companies more efficient and successful.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 5+ years experience in professional front-end development, ideally some of which you’ve spent in startups
- Previous experience working closely with designers, building flexible, composable libraries and components
- You sweat the important details and are passionate about maintainable, scalable CSS.
- Experience owning technically challenging and demanding cross-functional projects
- A record of identifying valuable projects, communicating the strategy for them, and executing on them autonomously
- A customer-first mindset and an interest in talking with customers to make sure what we’re building is a polished product meets their needs
- Habit of introspection and understanding what’s helped you be successful in the past
- Bonus points if you have experience in mentoring other team members
Retool is a Y Combinator-graduate backed by Sequoia Capital, as well as the founders of Github, Gusto, PagerDuty, Segment, and Stripe. Located in the heart of Hayes Valley, San Francisco, we build tools that delight our customers, empower businesses to run more effectively, and keep engineering teams happy.
Interested in what we're doing? We'd love to hear from you.