Scientist/Sr. Scientist in Cell Biology
Redwood City, CA /
We are a well-funded, untraditional bio startup based in Redwood City. Retro develops therapies for diseases driven by the biology of aging. We work on (1) partial reprogramming, (2) blood factors, and (3) autophagy to rejuvenate cell and tissue function with the ultimate aim of adding years to a healthy human lifespan by 10 years.
We have an open position for a Scientist/Sr. Scientist in Cell Biology (autophagy) to support the development of our autophagy program. The candidate will be well-organized, proactive, multi-tasking, and technically capable of developing, optimizing, and executing cellular assays. This position is ideal for an individual who is entrepreneurial and eager to learn and grow exponentially within a collaborative and supportive team of scientists and engineers.
In this role, you will:
- Develop in vitro and in vivo assays for assessing lysosome function, autophagic flux, and pathways related to accumulation diseases
- Develop overexpression, knock-in, and knock-out cell lines using CRISPR and viral approaches
- Provide scientific insights and in-depth data interpretation to inform decision-making within the research team
- Serve as a technical expert in resolving technical and workflow issues, drawing conclusions, and making recommendations; interact with other departments as necessary to plan and expedite project objectives
- Perform a wide range of functional cell-based assays including but not limited to quantitative molecular biology, cell imaging, and mechanism of action studies.
- Work both independently and in close collaboration to generate high-quality data in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Stay current with relevant scientific literature and implement new techniques or practices to improve quality and efficiency
You might thrive in this role if you:
- PhD in cell biology or related discipline with at least 2 years of post-doctoral or industry experience
- Have extensive experience with lysosome and autophagy biology
- Have experience handling rodents and working with models of lysosomal accumulation, including neurodegeneration
- Have hands-on experience in the development, optimization, and execution of cellular assays, applying multiple techniques including primary cell isolation, tissue culture, ELISA, flow cytometry, and Western and multiplexing technologies
- Are able to learn and embrace new technologies quickly, work independently, multi-task, and manage shifting priorities
- You are energetic, detail-oriented, intellectually curious, and deeply pragmatic. You thrive in a culture that embraces rapid iteration and open, straightforward communication
- Have a burning desire to understand aging biology through the lens of modern data-rich measurement technologies
Our team is a group of mission-driven, kind, and thoughtful individuals. We take pride in evolving a work environment that fosters collaboration, open communication, and authenticity. We believe that great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Retro develops therapies for diseases driven by the biology of aging. We work on (1) partial reprogramming, (2) blood factors, and (3) autophagy to rejuvenate cell and tissue function with the ultimate aim of adding years to healthy human lifespan.
The annual salary range for this role is $120,000 - $170,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
Benefits and perks:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
-401(k) plan with 4% matching
-Unlimited time off and 10 company holidays per year
-Paid parental leave
-Annual learning & development stipend
-Free lunch and snacks