Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate in Cell Biology
Redwood City, CA /
We are a well-funded, untraditional bio startup based in Redwood City. Retro develops therapies for diseases driven by the biology of aging. We work on (1) partial reprogramming, (2) blood factors, and (3) autophagy to rejuvenate cell and tissue function with the ultimate aim of adding years to a healthy human lifespan by 10 years.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate in cell biology (autophagy) to support the development of our autophagy program. The candidate will be well-organized, proactive, multi-tasking, and technically capable of developing, optimizing, and executing cellular assays. This position is ideal for an individual who is entrepreneurial and eager to learn and grow exponentially within a collaborative and supportive team of scientists and engineers.
In this role, you will:
- Assist with the planning and execution of assays for the discovery and characterization of novel small-molecule drug candidates
- Develop a variety of stable cell lines for screening and disease modeling
- Develop and optimize biochemical, molecular, and cellular biology methods as needed
- Assist with the development of biomarker assays
- Support in vivo experiments, including tissue processing and behavior assays
- Prepare documents, including data summaries, reports, and procedures
- Manage laboratory inventory for new and existing projects
You might thrive in this role if you:
- a minimum of 2 years of biotech/pharma experience
- Are experienced in cell culture and standard biology techniques, such as western blot, PCR, ELISA, flow cytometry
- Have experience with the development of stable cell lines (lenti, CRISPR knockout)
- Have experience handling rodents, experience with behavior assessments preferred
- Possess demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams
- You’re energetic, detail-oriented, intellectually curious, and deeply pragmatic. You thrive in a culture that embraces rapid iteration and open, straightforward communication
- Have a burning desire to understand aging biology through the lens of modern data-rich measurement technologies
Our team is a group of mission-driven, kind, and thoughtful individuals. We take pride in evolving a work environment that fosters collaboration, open communication, and authenticity. We believe that great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The annual salary range for this role is $70,000 - 100,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
Benefits and perks:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 10 company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave
- Annual learning & development stipend
- Free lunch and snacks