Principal Hardware Engineer (Electrical)
About Rewind 👋
At Rewind, we are building out personalized AI powered by everything you've seen, said, or heard. We believe personalized AI will unlock the potential of human productivity. Rewind records anything you’ve seen, said, or heard and makes it searchable. For your privacy, we store all of the recordings locally on your device and only you have access to them.
The product we have today is just the first step toward our audacious vision of giving humans perfect memory. We have raised over $35m from top-tier investors including NEA, Andreessen Horowitz, First Round Capital, Moxxie Ventures, Sam Altman, Elad Gil, and Alexis Ohanian to help make that vision a reality.
Why Rewind 👀
Working at Rewind will be the most impactful job of your life. Our team is small and everyone plays a huge role. The work you’ll do will have tremendous impact on not just our company, but how the world works: making forgetting a thing of the past.
With this audacious goal comes a lot of company growth. And as the company grows, so will you. We will support you in building a career that energizes and fulfills you: giving you opportunities so that you can do the best work of your career. But don't just take our word for it, look at our track record. Our founding team has previously built Optimizely: a $120M annual revenue recurring business with 450 employees which was voted the #1 Best Place to Work.
- Health insurance: best-in-class healthcare for employees and dependents. Includes vision and dental.
- Top-of-market compensation: we strive to offer top-of-market salary and equity.
- Flexible vacation: we want you to take the time you need to rest and relax.
- Employee-friendly equity terms: we offer an extended exercise window and early exercise for any options offered.
- Remote first: we have team members all over the U.S. and everyone is treated equally regardless of location.
- 401(k) plan: for US employees we offer a 401(k) plan with company matching.
- Office reimbursement: prefer working from an office? We provide a WeWork membership or reimbursement.
- Parental leave: we offer all parents 12 weeks of paid time off to spend time with their new family.
- Quarterly retreats: we have offsites quarterly to bring everyone together. Past retreats include Seattle, Breckenridge, Calistoga & Mexico.
- Choose your gear: we equip everyone with a new top-of-the-line laptop with all the upgrades.
Why we need you ✨
- Innovation: You will own development of electrical engineering hardware and firmware for a new generation of wearables designed to take advantage of AI-powered capabilities and Rewind’s unique ecosystem.
- Collaboration: Work closely with software engineering teams to ensure device firmware, IoT stack and hardware seamlessly power application functionality to create magical end-user experiences.
- Excellence: You love to develop elegant technical solutions on a tight timeline and seek to work with other A-players who also value doing excellent work.
What will be your responsibilities 📓
- Prototyping: When facing a design challenge, you don’t hesitate to bring out a breadboard, soldering iron, jumpers and a power supply to validate your assumptions. You take pride in setting up a productive prototyping workspace for yourself and are confident in requesting budget to do so.
- Debugging: You’re skilled with quickly finding the root cause for failures in electrical hardware and have low ego in terms of diagnosing unexpected problems with your own work. You know your way around an oscilloscope and other debugging tools.
- Technical Leadership: You craft electrical architecture based on first principles, anticipate how project requirements might change over time and allow reasonable buffer accordingly. You take pride in advocating for your technical vision such that others buy into it.
- Design Chops: You have a proven track record of taking a product requirements and running through the complete design process, from prototyping to block diagrams, layout, generating Gerber files and manufacturing and validating printed circuit boards.
- Manufacturing: You have experiences scaling your designs from zero to 100s of thousands in production.
- Vendor Management: You are used to working with international vendors for support on design and manufacturing. You are used to visiting factories, identifying problem areas and advocating for and implementing improvements. Multi-lingual skills can be an asset.
What will help you be successful 👏
- Technical Proficiency: Extensive experience in both firmware and electrical hardware development.
- Resourcefulness and Ownership: A proactive approach to challenges, taking full ownership of your work and utilizing resourcefulness to devise innovative solutions.
- Effective Communication: Strong communication skills for articulating ideas clearly, collaborating efficiently, and providing constructive feedback.
- Strong Technical Depth: A deep understanding of backend technologies and architectures, with the ability to make sound technical decisions and drive innovation.
Internally we aren't fixated on titles & levels since that can lead to needless hierarchy that distracts from the team's collective success. We recognize that not all companies operate that way so we say "Senior / Staff / Principal" to indicate we want people with substantial amounts of experience.
If you're interested in this job, we strongly encourage you to apply: we'd love to see you on our team working toward our audacious vision of giving humans perfect memory.