Scientist I, in vivo Biology
Cambridge, MA /
Rheos Medicines is a precision medicine company using insights from immunometabolism to bring novel therapeutics to patients suffering from autoimmune diseases. The company’s approach elucidates the underlying complexities and heterogeneity of immune mediated disease via a proprietary platform and product engine that integrates multiple “-omic” datasets through a metabolic lens. Rheos systematically defines the biologic links between immune cell metabolism and function across patient subsets and advances novel biomarker-enabled small molecule therapeutics to bring precision to the treatment of immune-mediated diseases. In December 2019, we entered a worldwide collaboration with Roche to identify and develop new therapeutics for autoimmune and inflammatory disease. Rheos was founded by Third Rock Ventures and is located in Cambridge, MA
We are looking for a creative and motivated individual with hands-on in vivo/ex vivo experience with preclinical small animal models of autoimmune/inflammatory disease to join our Biology team. Working with the In vivo Lead, you will be supporting multiple programs at varying stages of development including target validation, late discovery, and IND-enabling studies. The successful candidate will be responsible for in vivo project support through model selection, experimental design and data analyses to define PK/PD relationships, biomarkers, and mechanism of action of target biology. Establishing collaborative working relationships with internal cross-functional stakeholders and external partners (CROs and academic collaborators) will be a key responsibility. There will also be an exciting opportunity to establish and grow our internal in vivo capabilities.
· Design, plan and execute in vivo studies and downstream assays to understand compound dose response and PK/PD/efficacy relationships.
· Interface with and manage CROs and academic collaborators (across multiple time zones) on outsourced in vivo pharmacology studies and downstream sample processing.
· Work independently and as part of a collaborative team towards in vitro/ex vivo analyses of study samples (e.g., whole blood, plasma, immune cells, etc.) using molecular and cellular biology techniques such as flow cytometry, ELISA, and MSD.
· Analyze and interpret data sets and present research findings in internal team meetings.
· Maintain excellent experimental records in electronic laboratory notebook in adherence to company policies and to support regulatory submissions.
Evaluate and implement established and novel cutting-edge technologies to ensure continuance and enhancement of internal scientific excellence.
Requirements and Qualifications
· M.S./Ph.D in Immunology, Pharmacology, Animal Sciences or related fields of study with 1-3 years of relevant experience.
· Proficiency in routine animal (rodent) handling and in vivo pharmacology skills, including dosing via multiple routes (IV, SQ, IP, ID, and PO), preparation of test compounds, anesthesia, necropsy, blood and tissue collection for PK and PD biomarker analysis and efficacy.
· Familiarity with IACUC protocols and responsible use of animals (3Rs) in research
· Experience in cell culture techniques for propagating cell lines and primary cells, and ex vivo assays (cell stimulation, ELISA, MSD, etc.).
· Prior experience in immunoprofiling of primary cells via multi-parameter flow cytometry will be considered a plus.
· Familiarity with relevant data analysis software such as GraphPad Prism, Microsoft office for data entry, analysis, and presentation, is required.
· Enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal skills, scientific integrity, eagerness to learn and execute, and a commitment to working collaboratively with internal and external partners/collaborators in a fast-paced environment.
Rheos Medicines is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Rheos Medicines complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.