Director of Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Designed for the job site and proven on top projects around the world, Rhumbix is dedicated to building innovative digital tools that help improve safety and efficiency in the world’s largest and least-digitized industry. Founded in 2014 by former U.S. Navy veterans, Rhumbix brings together construction industry experts with top engineering, analytics, and data science talent to help rethink and redefine how construction plans, manages, and connects with data generated in the field.
Trusted by industry-leading construction companies—including Turner, Suffolk, DPR, and Hensel-Phelps—the Rhumbix Field Data Platform enables project teams to simplify field data capture and easily share critical performance details across their organization, giving real-time insights into production and safety conditions on the jobsite.
Backed by Tier 1 investors in the construction tech space including Greylock Partners, Blackhorn Ventures, Brick & Mortar Ventures, and Autodesk Forge Fund, Rhumbix has built an exceptional team that is continuously improving the way the world is designed and constructed by empowering the workforce with technology that delivers value to Workers First.
Continuously improve the way the world is designed, constructed, and operated by empowering the workforce with technology, data, and insights that deliver value to workers first.
Who you are
- You have 4+ years as an Engineering Manager; successfully managed a team of at least 10 engineers
- You have 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- As an engineering leader, you have owned planning and delivery of entire product before
- You are not frightened by working on unfamiliar things and with new technologies; you are excited by it.
- You want to work in an environment where learning, self-improvement, and personal and professional development are not only encouraged, but an important and necessary part of the job.
- You think strategically about execution now and building for scale in the future as well.
- You are a first principles thinker that works effectively with others to come up with pragmatic solutions
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications. Experience building and leading platform development
What you will do
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems. Need experience managing remote, distributed engineering teams.
- Partner closely with Design, Product Management, other Engineering leaders and Founders to identify the highest-impact technology opportunities to accelerate the product and user experience
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and guide them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Rhumbix recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your managers, engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- When you touch a piece of code, you leave it better than you found it.
- Learn how to improve our codebase, process, and architecture from your peers and implement these improvements effectively. There is nothing in the Rhumbix system that you are not supposed to touch.
- Participate in building the culture of Rhumbix. We have weekly team hangouts and a couple hackathons a year, and once we are able to gather, we will resume off-site team building activities.
- Work with incredibly humble, driven individuals
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits, up to 100% of the costs covered
- 20 days of PTO plus one floating holiday
- Professional development stipend
- Regular team events
- Frequent learning and development workshops
- Flexible work from home schedule
- Remote work available
Rhumbix is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Our goal is to create safe workplaces that reflect our commitment to putting Workers First.