Vice President of Engineering
Distributed Team /
Product and Technology – Engineering /
Designed for the job site and proven on top projects around the world, Rhumbix is dedicated to building innovative digital tools that help improve safety and efficiency in the world’s largest and least-digitized industry. Founded in 2014 by former U.S. Navy veterans, Rhumbix brings together construction industry experts with top engineering, analytics, and data science talent to help rethink and redefine how construction plans, manages, and connects with data generated in the field.
Trusted by industry-leading construction companies—including Turner, Suffolk, DPR, and Hensel-Phelps—the Rhumbix Field Data Platform enables project teams to simplify field data capture and easily share critical performance details across their organization, giving real-time insights into production and safety conditions on the jobsite.
Backed by Tier 1 investors in the construction tech space including Greylock Partners, Blackhorn Ventures, Brick & Mortar Ventures, and Autodesk Forge Fund, Rhumbix has built an exceptional team that is continuously improving the way the world is designed and constructed by empowering the workforce with technology that delivers value to Workers First.
Continuously improve the way the world is designed, constructed, and operated by empowering the workforce with technology, data, and insights that deliver value to workers first.
The VP of Engineering at Rhumbix will own all technology functions - driving decisions to enable forward momentum of the product and team. Her/His charisma and prior experience will attract talent and effectively mentor team members to grow the team from ~10 engineers to 25+ as appropriate. Having held the responsibility of full tech stack in the Enterprise SaaS space before, this leader will ideally have familiarity with products that leverage large-scale data, complex backend systems, and integrations.The VP Eng will inspire and galvanize the team possessing the technical knowledge to help the engineers improve code quality and velocity through mentorship--all with the absence of ego.The languages and systems used by the team include React / Redux, ReactNative,Python, Django, Fivetran, Looker, AWS, Snowflake.
Who you are
- You have 5+ years as an engineering manager; successfully managed a team of at least 20 engineers
- You have 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- As an engineering leader, you have owned planning and delivery of entire product before
- You are not frightened by working on unfamiliar things and with new technologies; you are excited by it.
- You want to work in an environment where learning, self-improvement, and personal and professional development are not only encouraged, but an important and necessary part of the job.
- You think strategically about execution now and building for scale in the future as well.
- You are a first principles thinker that works effectively with others to come up with pragmatic solutions
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications. Experience building and leading platform development, particularly with respect to configurable workflows
What you will do
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems. Should have experience managing remote, distributed engineering teams.
- Partner closely with Design, Product, Sales and Founders to identify the highest-impact technology opportunities to accelerate the product and user experience
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and guide them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Rhumbix recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your managers, engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- When you touch/review a piece of code, you leave it better than you found it.
- Learn how to improve our codebase, process, and architecture from your peers and implement these improvements effectively. There is nothing in the Rhumbix system that you are not supposed to touch.
- Lead in continuing to build the Engineering culture at Rhumbix in sync with the broader company culture. We have weekly team hangouts and a couple hackathons a year, and once we are able to gather, we will resume off-site team building activities.
More detailed overview of Rhumbix and our Product
- Rhumbix is a mobile platform that is reinventing the construction industry by providing real-time project data and insights for all stakeholders--helping workers to be more efficient and safe on the job, which in turn gives management greater insight and accountability into the life cycle and performance of a project.
- Rhumbix believes that the most valuable asset to any construction project is the craft workforce. Site safety and productivity hinges on their ability to make informed decisions that drive tangible progress. Current solutions overlook the importance of collecting data from, and communicating back to, the workers themselves. This oversight results in a divided workforce, where the decisions of planners, supervisors, and administrators are disconnected from the actions of workers and foremen. Rhumbix uses a mobile-first, modern software architecture to close the gap between construction decisions and actions allowing for more strategic and proactive project management.
- The construction industry is currently the second largest industry in the world, over $15T, and yet technology penetration is still relatively low, especially in the field where Rhumbix excels. Bringing the construction into the modern era, Rhumbix provides mobile data collection across all data types with real-time, un-siloed visibility, administration and analysis via its web application.
- The team at Rhumbix is seeking a seasoned technology leader who can own the company’s technology vision and implementation and build a strong engineering team to scale with its high-growth business needs.
About the Founders
- Rhumbix was founded in 2014 by Zach Scheel and Drew DeWalt, who met while in the MBA program at Stanford. They both have deep experience running large civil infrastructure projects along with a shared U.S. Navy background (hence the naval roots of the company name--rhumb lines are a way to navigate from Point “A” to “B” with a constant bearing.) Zach was a Civil Engineer Corps Officer, and Drew was a Nuclear Submarine Officer; they both have worked with major construction organizations in the past, including Bechtel and Hunt Oil.
About the Challenge
- The primary challenge for the VP of Engineering will be to rapidly, but sustainably, scale the team, product, and organizational processes. The business requires that the team grow from its current size of 10 engineers to 25+ over the next 18 months. Having prior experience with scaling at that rate and supporting the team with evolving structure and processes at various growth benchmarks will be needed.One of the challenges of the engineering team is to address a diverse set of stakeholders/use cases (clients, end-users, systems integrators, etc.) The team needs a leader to help balance the requests of all the product stakeholders and set the priorities to keep Rhumbix a trailblazer in the market. A related challenge is to architect the platform for configurability of workflows at scale and deliver the new workflow and data products that the team is currently building.
About the culture
The four core values of the company are:
(1) Workers First - mindful attention to your colleagues and our end user workers in all that we do,
(2) Trust & Transparency - trust first and build trust through transparency,
(3) Gains - yourself, our product, our company get better every day, and
(4) Message to Garcia - come with solutions and execute independently.
Additionally, the four core values for Development as created and committed to by the Development team are:
(1) Pride in the Rhumbix Software - do it right in the beginning versus a hack to maybe clean up later
(2) Deliver on Promises - uphold commitments, provide visibility with a mindset of underpromise and overdeliver
(3) No Blame Culture - all team members are approachable, transparent and honest. Have tough conversations early. We fail as a team, and we succeed as a team.
(4) Keep It Loose - remember to have fun in daily interactions with teammates and dedicate time to team activities that don’t involve coding.
One of Rhumbix's core values is #workersfirst. Not only are we looking out for those on the field but we are looking out for our team members by having benefits that encourage a true work life balance.
- Work with incredibly humble, driven individuals
- Medical, dental, vision, Life, and STD/LTD benefits with up to 100% of the costs covered
- 20 days of PTO plus one floating holiday and mental health day
- Professional development stipend
- Regular team events
- Frequent learning and development company hosted workshops
- Flexible work from home schedule
- Fully remote work available
Rhumbix is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Our goal is to create safe workplaces that reflect our commitment to putting Workers First.