Director of Mechanical Engineering
Santa Cruz, California /
A strong player/coach who can personally do world-class Mechanical Engineering, CAD, simulation, DFM, etc. while managing, leading and mentoring a small (two-person) team of mechanical engineers and managing projects to successful completion.
The ideal candidate will be a very talented, creative, capable hands-on engineer who is excited about leading an interdisciplinary team that is revolutionizing boardsports and transportation and shipping product.
Key responsibilities + expectations:
• Design enclosures, housings, mechanisms and electromechanical components.
• Validate, test, and iterate on existing mechanical and electromechanical systems.
• Identify and work with domestic and overseas vendors for manufacturing quotes, sourcing components, quality assurance, etc.
• Work with EE team for integration of PCBAs, connectors and wire harnesses
• Own CAD databases for complex assemblies
• Document and prepare drawing packages for internal/external uses.
• Manage allocation of team resources and tasks to accomplish projects in a timely manner
Experience + Qualifications:
• BS or MS in mechanical engineering.
• 7-15+ years experience
• Electromechanical (electric vehicle, mechatronics, etc.) background a very strong plus.
• Hands-on prototyping/machine shop experience
• Experience with design and documentation for a variety of manufacturing processes, including injection molding, die-casting, CNC machining, etc.
• Experience in the outdoor industry (bikes, snowboards, skateboards, etc) a strong plus.
• Manufacturing/DFM experience
• Experience taking product to market.
• Excellent CAD (Solidworks) proficiency.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We’re looking for a creative and forward-thinking engineering leader who shares our vision for this company and our willingness to work hard, in a start-up environment, to bring that vision to life. Do you have a track record of solving complex engineering challenges and delivering outstanding products? Do you build, tinker, hack, and create in your spare time?
The job is based in our westside Santa Cruz, CA location just half a mile from the beach!
To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter that mentions why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume. Due to the number of applications, we may not be able to contact everyone directly.