Junior Software Engineer
Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company accelerating the transition to a sustainable and efficient transportation system.
Over 50 cities around the world are using Ride Report to help manage the emergence of new and innovative forms of transportation – particularly shared micromobility such as electric scooters and bikes. We've shown that with the right tools, cities can harness the power of micromobility to rapidly transform their transportation systems for the better.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If it sounds like the right fit, we'd love to hear from you!
About the role
In the role of Junior Software Engineer, you will be building a system which collects real-time transportation data and transforms it into information that public agencies and mobility operators can act on immediately. You will work on all parts of our stack from data ingestion, processing, and delivery. Building the features most useful to our customers is a collaborative effort and you will frequently engage with other engineers, product managers, designers and our customer growth team.
On the backend, we primarily use Python with Django as our web framework. We use Celery with RabbitMQ for our distributed task management system. We make extensive use of AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Redis, PostgreSQL, and Terraform.
On our frontend, we use ReactJS with TypeScript.
We will start reviewing applications on Friday, April 3rd, 2020.
- Background developing in Python or other high level programming languages
- Understands version control and transparent, positive code review practices and their utility in building great software
- Ability to work collaborative and communicate clearly
- Appreciates testing and pragmatism around creating reliable software
- Experience shipping and supporting web services
- Building distributed data processing systems
- Data modeling
Within one month, you will:
- Learn about Ride Report's mission
- Participate in our Engineering Buddy system and complete starter tickets to get acquainted with our codebase and our development practices
Within 3 months, you will:
- Consistently apply our development practices throughout your work.
- Engage in our product and engineering development process and successfully shipped code.
- Engage in your first on-call rotation and be able to diagnose and resolve production issues. Currently our on-call duty only occurs during normal business hour though that is subject to change.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Contribute meaningfully to a project with significant scope, working cross-functionally as needed with key stakeholders such as product and design to keep them abreast of progress.
- Be the domain expert in a part of our system and be comfortable navigating our stack.
Compensation & Benefits
- Base salary for the Junior Software Engineer role at Ride Report is $90,000. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
- Generous equity incentives. We also offer new candidates the option to trade some salary for additional equity.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Competitive health insurance plans via Regence (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Vision and dental plans for self and dependent care (Employee-funded)
- Flexible Spending Accounts for both health care and dependent care (Employee-funded)
- A 401k program that matches 50% of employee contributions up to the 10% of their salary
- Yearly professional development stipend
- An electric micromobility vehicle benefit
- Unlimited snacks (HQ)
- Quarterly off-sites (HQ)
If you're not sure if this is the right fit for you, but you're interested, please apply! We're particularly interested in creating a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply, and are interested in building relationships with people who might be the right fit for our team at some point in the future.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Ride Report will not sponsor applicants for work visas. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on completion of a background check. You can read more about how and why we use background checks in our Open Source Employee Guide.