Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Portland, OR /
Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company accelerating the transition to a sustainable and efficient transportation system.
Over 50 cities around the world are using Ride Report to help manage the emergence of new and innovative forms of transportation – particularly shared micromobility such as electric scooters and bikes. We've shown that with the right tools, cities can harness the power of micromobility to rapidly transform their transportation systems for the better.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If it sounds like the right fit, we'd love to hear from you!
In the role of Senior Infrastructure Engineer, you'll help us operate and maintain our core product offerings by managing our engineering cloud infrastructure, deployment, and application monitoring.
Ride Report's engineering team currently consists of 9 full-stack engineers and an engineering manager. We're a values-driven team, emphasizing pragmatism and collaboration. We put intentionality into our processes and communication—you'll spend a lot of time in Slack, Notion, and GitHub planning, documenting, and sharing information, so that when you are coding, you can really focus on your work. We use AWS, Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform to manage our production systems. We've had some ops work done on a contract-basis, but this is the first full-time Engineering Operations role at Ride Report—it will be yours to own! This role will report to the Engineering Manager.
Within one month, you will:
- Become familiar with our engineering team practices and values, and begin to participate in technical discussions and code reviews.
- Learn how our software infrastructure is setup, and develop the familiarity to own all of our development operation technology and practices.
- Participate in our Engineer Firefighter rotation, familiarizing yourself with our alerting practices and methodologies for addressing urgent and emergent work.
- Work with our product, growth, and partnerships teams to ensure needs around compliance, reliability, and privacy are met with our customers and partners.
Within three months, you will:
- Be the owner of procedures around incident management and on-call tasks.
- Plan further improvements around all operations systems, including CI/CD, security and privacy controls, application monitoring, job processing and messaging services, load-balancing, patch and release management, and other needs you identify.
- Develop a plan for our data privacy and security strategy, including a plan to complete a SOCC 2 audit.
Within six months, you will:
- Own an extensible and robust platform for a performant web application.
- Systematically work through a plan for maintaining and iterating upon our systems to support our web application as it scales.
- Support others on the team, and help identify and fill gaps to ensure stability and consistent growth of our engineering operations.
Helpful skills and experience
Because we're such a small team, we're looking for engineers who are experienced in leading technical projects in a professional environment and making strategic decisions around the architecture of a production web app.
- Professional experience writing production software in Python, or another major programming language, and proficiency in scripting tools like Bash
- Professional experience building, deploying and hosting applications in a major cloud provider such as AWS or GCE, and understanding the underlying technologies that make this possible, including DNS, Load Balancing, VPCs
- Familiarity with git, valuing the role that version control and transparent, positive code review practices have in building great software
- Ability to pair with other developers to help elevate the skills of the team, and mentor junior staff
- Experience with security activities throughout the software development lifecycle—design reviews, threat modeling, code reviews, tooling, penetration testing, incident response
- Experience using Terraform or other Infrastructure as Code tools to provision and manage production software systems
- Experience managing a production web application hosted in Kubernetes
- Familiarity with managing worker queues in Rabbit or other message queue management systems
- Experience building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines for release automation of application code and infrastructure
- Understanding of privacy compliance programs such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS), etc.
Benefits and Compensation
- Base salary for the Senior Infrastructure Engineer role at Ride Report is $165,000. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
- Equity incentives. We also offer new candidates the option to trade some salary for additional equity.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Health insurance, including mental health, plans via Regence (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- A 401k program matching 50% of employee contributions up to the 10% of their salary
- An eBike Enablement Benefit
- Yearly professional development stipend
- Annual Transportation Wallet (HQ)
- Unlimited snacks (HQ)
- Quarterly off-sites (HQ)
Due to COVID-19, Ride Report is currently a fully remote team based out of Portland, OR. We will not be requiring anyone to return to the office ahead of October 1, 2021, and will work with you to arrange a remote working situation in the meantime.
We'll be evaluating applications on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.
If you're not sure if this is the right fit for you, but you're interested, please apply! We're particularly interested in creating a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply, and are interested in building relationships with people who might be the right fit for our team at some point in the future.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Ride Report will not sponsor applicants for work visas. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on completion of a background check. You can read more about how and why we use background checks in our Open Source Employee Guide.