Senior Product Designer
Portland, OR or Remote /
Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company accelerating the transition to a sustainable and efficient transportation system.
Over 50 cities around the world are using Ride Report to help manage the emergence of new and innovative forms of transportation – particularly shared micromobility such as electric scooters and bikes. We've shown that with the right tools, cities can harness the power of micromobility to rapidly transform their transportation systems for the better.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If it sounds like the right fit, we'd love to hear from you!
In the role of Senior Product Designer, you will bring a mix of strong product design experience and systems thinking to our team as we build software that enables emerging mobility to flourish. You will enable collaboration and champion design across our product, engineering, and growth teams by sharing ideas and bringing user-centric perspectives to the table. The problems you solve will range from broad and loose concepts to narrow and defined deliverables. Your continued input will help us plan for the future as we grow our team and advance our product offerings.
Within one month, you will:
- Learn about Ride Report and our mission
- Begin to develop an understanding of our city customers and operator partners, their goals, and the outcomes they're working to achieve for residents
- Meet the team. Connect individually with collaborators in engineering, product, and customer success, as well as join project checkpoints to listen, learn, and contribute to current initiatives
- Explore our product and design systems to familiarize yourself with the core product offering and the underlying design foundation
Within 3 months, you will:
- Act as the primary resource across the company for developing the product interfaces for all elements of our web application
- Have met with several customers to understand their needs, how they use Ride Report product, and how their problems connect with our business
- Actively engage in our product development process by representing the design team throughout project life cycles and building strong collaborative relationships with engineering
- Contribute regularly to our design system and drive refinements to existing patterns
Within 6 months, you will:
- Lead design reviews and regularly share your work and research across the company—from check-ins to company all hands
- Foster a comprehensive understanding of the problems our customers face by meeting with our customers directly, as well as maintaining consistent contact with customer-facing teams
- Collaborate closely with product teams to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products
Must have skills and experience:
- Experience working as a product designer on a production web application in a product-centric software organization
- Strong product and visual design skills, backed up by a goals-oriented portfolio
- Desire to continue to grow and learn—as well as teach and share
- Incorporation and advocacy for user research and testing throughout the design process
- Passion for systems thinking and solving complex problems while balancing flexibility, power, and ease of use
- Ability to work collaboratively through strong communication skills and delivering compelling design rationale
- Adaptability to apply all of the above in a fast-moving startup environment
Nice to have / excited to learn about:
- Desire to help cities achieve positive safety, equity, congestion, and climate outcomes for residents
- Previous experience in transportation or government technologies
- Experience making large amounts of data and information easy to understand and actionable
- Experience contributing to and maintaining a design system
- Familiarity with modern product development, prototyping, and collaboration tools, such as Figma and Github
Compensation & Benefits
- Base salary for a Senior Product Designer role at Ride Report is $128k to $137k, depending on experience. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
- Equity incentives. We also offer new candidates the option to trade some salary for additional equity.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Health insurance, including mental health, plans via Regence (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- A 401k program matching 50% of employee contributions up to the 10% of their salary
- An eBike Enablement Benefit
- Yearly professional development stipend
- Annual Transportation Wallet (HQ)
- Unlimited snacks (HQ)
- Quarterly off-sites (HQ)
Due to COVID-19, Ride Report is currently a fully remote team based out of Portland, OR. We will not be requiring anyone to return to the office ahead of October 1, 2021, and will work with you to arrange a remote working situation in the meantime.
We'll be evaluating applications on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.
If you're not sure if this is the right fit for you, but you're interested, please apply! We're particularly interested in creating a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply, and are interested in building relationships with people who might be the right fit for our team at some point in the future.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Ride Report will not sponsor applicants for work visas. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on completion of a background check. You can read more about how and why we use background checks in our Open Source Employee Guide.