Senior Software Engineer
Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company building tools to help cities make transportation more equitable, efficient and sustainable.
Ride Report believes cities are our future. One of the most powerful transformations will come when cities put the needs of people above the needs of vehicles. This simple shift in how we design and share the right of way will reshape the fabric of our cities, making them more equitable, sustainable and just a lot nicer to live in.
Technology has a role to play in this transformation, but we believe that cities must be the ones controlling it. Only cities are equipped to prioritize a system that maximizes public benefit by ensuring that every citizen, every need, and every perspective is considered. Like cities, we believe technology must balance individual needs with the collective. We believe systems work better when they're designed to serve everyone equitably. Cities may need to evolve, but the sanctity and leadership of city governments will ensure that evolution serves the larger public interest.
Ride Report began in 2015 with a simple set of tools that help cities use data to make planning decisions that are faster, smarter, and more responsive to road user's lived experiences. More recently, cities have used Ride Report to help manage the explosion in new transportation alternatives from electric bikes to scooters and everything in between.
More than twenty cities around the world use Ride Report's comprehensive toolset to manage their bike infrastructure and the fleets that use it. Whether it's deciding where the next bike lane is needed or what to do about that scooter stuck in a tree, cities use Ride Report's dashboard to make efficient, data-driven decisions in an ever-changing landscape. With your help, we'll give cities the data and tools they need to ensure we're building a better transportation system that works for everyone.
You’ll join a team that:
-Is small but planning ahead to grow quickly and gracefully.
-Values equity by sharing information transparently, seeking to include every perspective and balancing individual needs versus the collective.
-Practices delivering feedback in a direct, non-violent and strategic manner that fosters active collaboration and excellent work.
-Communicates often and anticipates changing priorities and requirements.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If it sounds like the right fit, we'd love to hear from you!
In the role of Senior Software Engineer, you will help us make our products simpler, more powerful and more trustable. You'll join a team of 5 engineers with principles and practices that define how we work.
You’ll help us build:
- Data analysis tools that simplify workflows for city employees.
- Flexible APIs that handle large GeoJSON datasets.
- Integrations with a variety of partners and data providers.
- Pragmatic testing strategies that deliver a trustworthy product quickly.
- Solutions to make our systems more scalable and easier to deploy.
- Company processes that emphasize collaboration and scaling as we grow.
- A small company with an outsized impact in making cities better.
You’ll do the following:
- Iterate quickly, deploy often, and adapt in response to feedback.
- Explicitly define the goals, assumptions, and decisions that drive your thinking.
- Work across a variety of stacks and frameworks that currently include Python, Go, Swift, React/Redux, Java and C++. But it’s OK if you don’t know these all things yet because you’ll…
- Continually learn new things outside your area of expertise.
- Strive to always be curious.
- Support our mission and align with our core beliefs.
You'll demonstrate these qualities of a senior engineer:
- Work independently in multiple areas of our stack
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other engineers
- Disseminate knowledge to other members on the team in an accessible way
- Strategize both the development of greenfield features, and navigation of legacy code bases
- Proactively solicit and offer constructive feedback through code reviews, and regular communication with the team
- Elevate the skills and expertise of others on the team
- Take business value into account when making decisions
- Explicitly share trade-offs when making judgments and decisions, always considering the big picture
- Base salary for a Software Engineer III role at Ride Report is $145,000. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
- Generous equity incentives and ability to trade salary for equity.
- Unlimited vacation.
- Excellent health insurance plans.
- A 401k program that matches 50% of employee contributions up to 10% of their salary.
- A micromobility enablement benefit
If you're not sure if this is the right fit for you, but you're interested, please apply! We're particularly interested in creating a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply, and are interested in building relationships with people who might be the right fit for our team at some point in the future.
This is a position based in Portland, Oregon. Relocation assistance will be offered to non-local candidates.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.