Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company accelerating the transition to a sustainable and efficient transportation system.
Over 50 cities around the world are using Ride Report to help manage the emergence of new and innovative forms of transportation – particularly shared micromobility such as electric scooters and bikes. We've shown that with the right tools, cities can harness the power of micromobility to rapidly transform their transportation systems for the better.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If it sounds like the right fit, we'd love to hear from you!
In the role of Product Designer, you will bring a mix of strong product design experience and design-systems thinking to our team as we build software that enables emerging mobility to flourish. You will enable collaboration and champion design across product, engineering, and growth teams by sharing ideas and bringing user-centric perspectives to the table. The problems you solve will range from broad and loose concepts to narrow and defined deliverables. Your continued input will help us plan for the future as we grow our team and advance our product offerings.
Within one month, you will:
- Learn about Ride Report and our mission
- Listen to, learn from, and contribute during conversations around product and design as you observe the team during project cycles
- Explore our design system to familiarize yourself with our foundation and component structures
Within 3 months, you will:
- Contribute regularly to our design system and drive refinements to existing patterns
- Understand the layout of our frontend codebase and the role of design within those systems
- Actively engage in our product development process by representing the design team throughout project life cycles and building strong collaborative relationships with engineering
Within 6 months, you will:
- Lead design reviews and regularly share your work and research across the company—from check-ins to company all hands
- Foster a comprehensive understanding of the problems our customers face through in-person meetings and by maintaining a consistent cadence with customer teams
- Collaborate closely with product teams to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products
- Maintain a central source of truth by contributing foundational elements and patterns to our frontend as an integrated contributor to the Ride Report codebase
Must have skills and experience:
- Strong visual and product design skills, backed up by a goals-oriented portfolio
- Desire to continue to grow and learn—as well as teach and share
- Passion for systems thinking and solving complex problems while balancing flexibility, power, and ease of use
- Ability to work collaboratively through strong communication skills and the ability to deliver compelling design rationale
- Understanding of foundational frontend development processes
- Adaptability to efficiently apply all of the above in a fast-moving startup environment
Nice to have/excited to learn about:
- Experience contributing to and maintaining a design system (major plus!)
- Incorporation and advocacy for user testing and research throughout the design process
- Previous experience in transportation or government technologies
Compensation and benefits:
- Base salary for the Product Designer role at Ride Report is 107,000.00. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
- Generous equity incentives. We also offer new candidates the option to trade some salary for additional equity.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Competitive health insurance plans via Regence (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Vision and dental plans for self and dependent care (Employee-funded)
- Flexible Spending Accounts for both health care and dependent care (Employee-funded)
- A 401k program that matches 50% of employee contributions up to the 10% of their salary
- Yearly professional development stipend
- An electric micromobility vehicle benefit
- Unlimited snacks (HQ)
- Quarterly off-sites (HQ)
This is a position based in Portland, Oregon. Relocation assistance will be offered to non-local candidates. We will begin reviewing applications starting Friday, April 3rd, 2020.
If you're not sure if this is the right fit for you, but you're interested, please apply! We're particularly interested in creating a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply, and are interested in building relationships with people who might be the right fit for our team at some point in the future.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Ride Report will not sponsor applicants for work visas. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on completion of a background check. You can read more about how and why we use background checks in our Open Source Employee Guide.