Backend Engineer - Data Systems
Portland, OR or Remote /
Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company accelerating the transition to a sustainable and efficient transportation system.
Over 50 cities around the world are using Ride Report to help manage the emergence of new and innovative forms of transportation – particularly shared micromobility such as electric scooters and bikes. We've shown that with the right tools, cities can harness the power of micromobility to rapidly transform their transportation systems for the better.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If what we value resonates with you, we'd love to hear from you!
About the role
This is a mid to senior level backend software engineering position.
Data integrations are a mission-critical component of our infrastructure as they connect mobility operators and hundreds of thousands of vehicles around the world to Ride Report's realtime systems. As a technical leader, you will drive forward a new vision for improving and growing integrations that benefit our city customers as well as our mobility operator partners.
In this role, you will work closely with our product and engineering teams to scope and build a new product for external data providers to streamline their government data compliance and integrate with Ride Report. You will collaborate with external partners to become an expert in their technical systems and workflows. You will ensure that Ride Report has a best-in-class, elegant solution for integrating mobility data and an unbeatable developer experience for potential future partners.
Within one month, you will:
• Learn about Ride Report's mission and how our products work to achieve it
• Engage in our product and engineering development process and ship your first feature
• Be a subject matter expert in existing data specifications (e.g. MDS, GBFS) in the mobility industry
• Be underway with the planning, scoping, design, and implementation of an initial prototype of a new product offering
Within 3 months, you will:
• Have gathered requirements and conducted interviews with key internal and external stakeholders
• Understand the needs and challenges of mobility operators
• Have shipped a complete prototype of a new product offering
Within 6 months, you will:
• Continue to work closely with our product team and external partners to iterate on early prototypes
• Scale and generalize a product offering to a broad customer base
Must-have skills and experience
- Ability to work collaboratively and listen carefully
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to navigate and understand large code bases
- Expertise building, deploying, and maintaining APIs
- Ability to write and understand code in multiple programming languages
- Experience with large-scale data pipelines, ETL, or data storage
- Understanding of distributed systems
- Ability to accurately estimate engineering projects, adjust scope to meet deadlines, and iterate quickly
- Strong sense of ownership
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Writing SDKs or APIs for 3rd party consumption
- Building and deploying distributed systems that process large amounts of data from multiple sources
- Data modeling
- Working directly with customers
- Building tools and utilities for developers
- Mobile development
Compensation & Benefits
• Base salary for the Senior Software Engineer role at Ride Report is $145,000. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
• Generous equity incentives. We also offer new candidates the option to trade some salary for additional equity.
• Competitive health insurance plans via Regence (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
• Vision and dental plans for self and dependent care (Employee-funded)
• Flexible Spending Accounts for both health care and dependent care (Employee-funded)
• A 401k program that matches 50% of employee contributions up to the 10% of their salary
• Yearly professional development stipend
• Unlimited snacks (HQ)
• Quarterly off-sites (HQ)
If you're not sure if this position is right for you, but you're interested, please apply! We do review every application, and are interested in building relationships with people who have a strong sense that Ride Report is a place where they feel like they could thrive.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Ride Report will not sponsor applicants for work visas. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on completion of a background check. You can read more about how and why we use background checks in our Open Source Employee Guide.