Based in Portland, Ride Report is a small software company accelerating the transition to a sustainable and efficient transportation system.
Over 50 cities around the world are using Ride Report to help manage the emergence of new and innovative forms of transportation – particularly shared micromobility such as electric scooters and bikes. We've shown that with the right tools, cities can harness the power of micromobility to rapidly transform their transportation systems for the better.
Learn more about our mission and values in our open source handbook. If it sounds like the right fit, we'd love to hear from you!
About the role
In the role of Operations Engineer, you'll help us operate and maintain our core product offerings by owning our engineering cloud infrastructure, deployment, and monitoring. We use AWS, Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform to manage our production systems.
Because we're such a small team, we're looking for engineers who are experienced in leading technical projects in a professional environment and making strategic decisions around the architecture of a production web app.
We will start reviewing applications on Friday, April 3rd, 2020.
This is a position based in Portland, Oregon. Relocation assistance will be offered to non-local candidates.
- Professional experience writing production software in Python, or another major programming language, and proficiency in scripting tools like Bash
- Experience building, deploying and hosting applications in a major cloud provider such as AWS or GCE, and understanding the underlying technologies that make this possible, such as DNS, Load Balancing, VPCs
- Familiarity with git, valuing the role that version control and transparent, positive code review practices have in building great software
- Experience using Terraform or other Infrastructure as Code tools to provision and manage production software systems
- Familiarity with managing worker queues in Rabbit or other message queue management systems
- Experience building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines for release automation of application code and infrastructure
- Ability to pair with other developers to help elevate the skills of the team, and mentor junior staff
Within one month, you will:
- Become familiar with our engineering team practices and values, and begin to participate in technical discussions and code reviews.
- Learn how our software infrastructure is setup, and develop the familiarity to own this area of our stack.
- Participate in our Engineer Firefighter rotation, familiarizing yourself with our alerting practices and methodologies for addressing urgent and emergent work.
- Work with our product, growth, and partnerships teams to ensure needs around compliance, reliability, and privacy are met with our customers and partners.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Own procedures around incident management and on-call tasks
- Plan further improvements around all operations systems, including CI/CD, networking, application monitoring, job processing and messaging services, load-balancing, patch and release management, and other needs you identify
Within 6 months, you will:
- Own an extensible and robust platform for a performant web application
- Systematically work through a plan for maintaining and iterating upon our systems to support our web application as it scales
- Support others on the team, and help identify and fill gaps to ensure stability and consistent growth of our engineering operations
Compensation & Benefits
- Base salary for the Operations Engineer role at Ride Report is $120,000 or $145,000, depending on seniority. Ride Report provides the same base salary for every employee in this role. Learn why we don't negotiate our salaries.
- Generous equity incentives. We also offer new candidates the option to trade some salary for additional equity.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- Competitive health insurance plans via Regence (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Vision and dental plans for self and dependent care (Employee-funded)
- Flexible Spending Accounts for both health care and dependent care (Employee-funded)
- A 401k program that matches 50% of employee contributions up to the 10% of their salary
- Yearly professional development stipend
- An electric micromobility vehicle benefit
- Unlimited snacks (HQ)
- Quarterly off-sites (HQ)
If you're not sure if this is the right fit for you, but you're interested, please apply! We're particularly interested in creating a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. We carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply, and are interested in building relationships with people who might be the right fit for our team at some point in the future.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Ride Report will not sponsor applicants for work visas. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on completion of a background check. You can read more about how and why we use background checks in our Open Source Employee Guide.