Sr. Research Scientist: Quantum Error Correction
United States /
QPU – Quantum Engineering /
- Demonstrate practical improvements in quantum processor performance through error mitigation, error detection and error correction.
- Develop programming tools and compiler based optimization frameworks for mitigating quantum hardware errors on near-term machines.
- Establish hardware and software requirements for practical fault-tolerant codes to enable robust intermediate scale machines.
- Implement tests of small logical qubits and fault-tolerant codes.
- Collaborate with quantum hardware engineers on system benchmarking and error analysis.
- Collaborate with application scientists on quantum circuit construction and error analysis.
- Organize and lead directed research programs with external partners in academia, industry, and national labs.
- MS or PhD in physics, electrical engineering, computer science, or related field with post-graduate experience in industry; or equivalent experience.
- Experience in one or more of the following: digital quantum error mitigation, quantum error correction, quantum fault-tolerance, classical or quantum channel coding.
- Experience in implementing error correction on hardware or collaborating with experimentalists or electrical engineers.
- Experience and background in writing complex, production quality software with an emphasis on mathematical and scientific software.
- Excellent technical communications skills.
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. This position will be based out of our Berkeley headquarters and may be required to work remotely temporarily. Longer term, this position will likely be a hybrid role (primarily onsite with some remote work opportunities).
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.