RF Test Engineer, Cryo/RF
Berkeley, CA /
QPU – Systems Engineering /
Rigetti Computing is building the world’s most powerful computers to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. We believe this technology will fundamentally change the world for the better and will affect nearly every industry over the coming decades. Now a public company, Rigetti is looking to expand its Quantum Engineering team through the addition of an experienced RF Test Engineer.
As an RF Test Engineer on the Rigetti Cryo-RF Hardware Engineering team, you will lead multiple test and validation efforts in support of next-generation Quantum Computing hardware development. You will design and build test devices and lead emerging technology test programs, including high-density, superconducting RF signaling systems in a milli-Kelvin cryogenic vacuum environment. You will investigate system reliability factors relating to thermal cycling from room temperature to near-absolute zero, and convey these learnings to Rigetti design teams to continually improve our hardware and accelerate our path to quantum supremacy. You will play an integral role in validating novel solutions in the quantum computing realm, collaborating closely with Hardware Design, Quantum Device Packaging Design, QuantumEngineering, and Electrical Engineering teams.
The ideal candidate brings broad cross-domain experience including electrical and RF engineering, mechanical engineering, and materials science. You enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary environment, and you excel at translating functional requirements into well-designed, statistically-grounded test designs. You are able to identify both requirements and constraints and manage effective test programs that navigate these inputs. You are a strong communicator who keeps stakeholders informed and involved.
This role involves the direct design of electronic and mechanical components and assemblies in SolidWorks CAD and Altium Designer, or similar. You will be working closely with a team of electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and physicists, as well as outside component suppliers, to define system and component requirements. You will own and integrate your tests into the R&D and production release workflows in support of new, cutting-edge quantum computer systems.
As quantum computing leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who built it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
What You Bring to the Table:
- BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience developing and implementing test solutions for in-house developed Microwave / RF signaling parts and systems
- Experience specifying and designing electronic test equipment, including custom PCBs
- Fluency in setting up and executing DOE and performing subsequent data analysis
- Experience with statistical tools such as regression analysis, SPC, etc.
- Demonstrated success collaborating in a multi-domain environment
- Experience leading in your area of expertise and mentoring team members in test engineering concepts and methods
- Experience developing assembly processes, documentation, and validation test plans
- Experience with design, materials, and testing of low-temperature hardware components
Bonus Points if You Have:
- Python scripting (especially including e.g. numpy and scipy for scientific computing) for analysis and equipment automation
- Experienced user of mechanical 3D CAD software for component and assembly modeling (SolidWorks preferred)
- Understanding of tolerance analysis and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with Design For Manufacturing (DFM) and manufacturing process design and validation
- Knowledge of micro-and nano-fabrication techniques or experience developing MEMS technology
- Familiarity with documentation control, revision management, and PLM systems
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Flexible PTO as soon as they join.
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is a pioneer in full-stack quantum computing. The company has operated quantum computers over the cloud since 2017 and serves global enterprise, government, and research clients through its Rigetti Quantum Cloud Services platform. The company’s proprietary quantum-classical infrastructure provides ultra-low latency integration with public and private clouds for high-performance practical quantum computing. Rigetti has developed the industry’s first multi-chip quantum processor for scalable quantum computing systems. The company designs and manufactures its chips in-house at Fab-1, the industry’s first dedicated and integrated quantum device manufacturing facility. Rigetti was founded in 2013 by Chad Rigetti and today employs more than 180 people with offices in the United States, U.K., and Australia. Learn more at www.rigetti.com.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.