Oxford, UK /
QPU – Quantum Engineering /
As a Quantum Engineer you will be a key contributor in our UK Quantum Computing Center. As such, you will drive systematic improvements throughout Rigetti Computing’s full stack quantum computing architecture while deploying our first quantum computer in the UK. You will work in close collaboration with our team in Berkeley CA, USA, to create reliable functionality of the system, outline hardware requirements for the engineering organization, and integrate novel capabilities into our quantum systems. You will elevate physics breakthroughs into stable technology, working closely with a uniquely diverse team of engineers.
- Work with a broad team of engineers to set up our first quantum computer in the UK
- Characterize and bring up quantum devices
- Design and execute experimental programs to make efficient progress toward systems-level improvements
- Collaborate across multiple engineering teams including fabrication, software, electrical, and mechanical
Essential skills and experiences:
- PhD in Physics or similar applied scientific field
- Experience with quantum devices and coherent quantum control
- Knowledge of Python
Desirable skills and experiences:
- Experience with superconducting qubits
- Experience with software engineering best practices
- Experience with git, unit tests, and collaborative code development
- Exposure to RF measurement techniques
- Training in microfabrication process development, metrology, and improvement for superconducting microwave circuits
- Prior technical role in an industry or start-up environment
- Full-time, permanent
- Monday to Friday schedule
- Partial remote work allowed (see below for details)
- UK residence and full UK work permission are required
We are committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. From March 2021 this position will require onsite work in Oxfordshire.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- Generous Stock Grant
- Generous Annual Leave Allowance
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Opportunities for additional performance-based stock grants or bonuses
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!