Senior Integration Engineer
Technology Organization – Fabrication
As Quantum IC Process Integration Engineer at Rigetti Computing, you will work on the team that develops and improves the end-to-end design and fabrication process for manufacturing superconducting quantum circuits in our Fab-1 facility. With your physics background, you provide expertise on how process and materials decisions will affect qubit performance and functionality. Working with collaborators in hardware, quantum engineering, and chip design, you plan and execute experiments to answer key fab R&D questions.
This is an interdisciplinary role that requires interaction with scientists and engineers across the company, and fluency in a variety of technical topics ranging from circuit quantum electrodynamics to semiconductor manufacturing.
Rigetti Computing is building the world’s most powerful computers to help solve humanity’s most pressing and important problems. These systems will perform computations that today’s fastest supercomputers are incapable of— unlocking entirely new classes of problems and offering a direct path to solutions. We are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries. We believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. Rigetti is the only company deploying full-stack solutions for hybrid classical/quantum computing. Our 19-qubit quantum computer is available online through our Forest platform, and the first commercially useful applications are already under exploration.
- Own process integration and development of advanced process flows for making quantum circuit and 3D signal routing chips to achieve target specifications and project timelines
- Lead project teams of engineers working on several process flows
- Guide development of new process approaches to achieve higher performance, scaling, and 3D signaling, including planning and performing short-loop studies to mitigate risk
- Design and interpret data from experiments to answer key questions and make improvements to the process
- Clearly document, qualify and transfer fully developed, stable processes to production operations via a manufacturing execution system
- Collaborate with module engineers to specify process requirements and develop new process capabilities, and with test team to validate technical choices and develop IP
- Work with design team to specify design rules and process compatibility, as well as to design test structures
- Define execution plan for initial process runs and follow lot through the initial full process, as well as failure analysis and other post hoc metrology efforts to understand fabricated circuit performance
- Guide and mentor other engineers performing integration functions
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, or related field, with hands-on fabrication
- 5+ years industry experience in high-performing engineering organization on process integration for integrated circuits, MEMS, or sensors
- Experience implementing semiconductor industry best practices, including: statistical process control, failure mode effects and analysis, and manufacturing execution systems
- Leadership skills to drive consensus within fab organization and across larger company
- Eagerness to learn and engage in technical conversations about microwave engineering, superconductivity, and quantum computation, with the goal of understanding the larger context for the products
- Cross-functional experience in research/development and production environments
- High degree of comfort balancing the needs of a semiconductor fab with a flexible, agile startup environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment
Rigetti Fab-1 was launched in June 2017 as the world’s first commercial foundry for quantum integrated circuits. Fab-1 is based on the latest semiconductor processing tools and technology, but, unlike traditional fabs, operates in rapid-iteration mode.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Rigetti Computing offers a comprehensive benefits package, including healthcare coverage. For more information, refer to our Careers page.
Rigetti Computing is a full-stack quantum computing company based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA. We design and manufacture superconducting quantum integrated circuits. We package and deploy those chips in a low-temperature environment, and we build control systems to perform quantum logic operations on them. We build software to integrate our systems directly into existing cloud infrastructure.
Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. QCS includes Quil (quantum instruction language), our programming standard for quantum/classical computing.
We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 100 people, about 40 of whom hold PhDs in physics, computer science, math, chemistry or engineering.
For more information, refer to our About page.