VP of Engineering Operations
Rigetti Computing is a diverse and interdisciplinary team of world-class engineers, scientists, visionaries, and hackers pushing the boundaries of technology to achieve an incredibly ambitious mission. As Vice President of Engineering Operations, your goal is to develop, maintain, and continuously improve the operating practices, facilities, equipment, technical infrastructure, and product engineering culture to accelerate the pursuit of that mission.
You are a doer and builder. You excel at leading complex hardware projects that deliver new capabilities to your organization. Your career has focused on dovetailing the challenges of rapid-iteration prototyping and complex systems engineering, with one foot in pure R&D and one in customer requirements. You enjoy taking complicated ideas, breaking them down into manageable components, and transforming them into stable, reliable capabilities and processes that can be executed efficiently. You are obsessed with metrics and continuous improvement while thriving in a creative and high-energy culture. You are at home interacting with technical leaders from a wide range of backgrounds, and bringing clarity to their world.
Major objectives, first 12-18 months:
- Lead and grow the Engineering Operations team responsible for commissioning, upgrading, and deploying prototype quantum computer systems
- Transform our lab into the world’s premier quantum computing R&D facility
- Develop long-term plan for scaling and improving our R&D facilities to support the rapidly growing organization
- Oversee and improve the company’s supply chain management, technical procurement processes, and inventory management
- Bring hardware product lifecycle management best practices to the company’s broader engineering operations
- 10+ years of technical management experience in world-class organizations that regularly move new hardware ideas from R&D to production
- Interdisciplinary engineering background and ability to interact with wide range of technical activities
- Outstanding project management skills, with proven track record of delivering complicated projects to completion
- Eagerness to take important leadership role in the definition of a new industry and new field of engineering, and managing within a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
Nice to have
- Experience growing a startup from 50 to 500 people while shaping it into a nimble, product-focused company
- Knowledge of advanced cryogenics, including cryogen-free dilution refrigerators
- Project management certification
- Familiarity with engineering frameworks such as lean 5S manufacturing and NPI/phase-gate model for R&D
- Experience selecting and transitioning ERP systems with engineering impact (e.g. for tracking BOM, part numbers, documentation)
Rigetti Computing is developing cloud-deployed quantum computers to solve humanity's most pressing and valuable problems. We are a highly diverse and interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers working at the cutting edge of technology in a mission-driven entrepreneurial environment. We believe that bringing together teams from various cultures, educational backgrounds, and technical disciplines helps them to see things from more points of view and to make great products that change the world for the better.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.