Manager, Quantum Design
Fremont, CA /
Fabrication – Fabrication /
As Manager of the Quantum Chip Design team, you will lead systematic improvements to Rigetti Computing’s quantum processors through modeling and design. You will be responsible for realizing the quantum chips that form the core of our technology stack. You will manage the team that designs and simulates multi-qubit circuits for fabrication and develops next-generation quantum processors. You will guide the team in the development of quantum hardware simulation tools to model the classical and quantum dynamics of superconducting circuits.
- Manage the talented physicists and engineers who design, lay out, and simulate quantum processors
- Use custom and commercial (HFSS, COMSOL, CST) simulation software to design the microwave and quantum dynamics of superconducting qubit devices
- Build CAD models of quantum circuits
- Work with stakeholders in the company to determine design priorities, and manage workflow and priorities with the Design team
- Collaborate with fabrication and experimental teams to determine different circuit architectures to fabricate, and data to collect for future design iterations
- Guide the development of custom simulation tools to perform quantum analysis, for better simulation performance and workflow efficiency
- Software engineering exposure (Python, Julia is a plus)
- Management experience in technical environmentExperience with using HFSS, COMSOL, CST, AutoCad, etc.
- Solid understanding of quantum mechanics
- Formal mathematical skills, specifically linear algebra and analysis is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across diverse teams of expert engineers PhD in the field of superconducting qubits or closely related discipline (i.e. Physics/Computer Science/Electrical Engineering)
Nice to Have
- Understanding of circuit quantum electrodynamics
- Knowledge of computational modeling, in particular of quantum circuits, integrated or lumped element electrical circuits
- Demonstrated contributions to open source software
- Experience with RFIC design and CAD workflows
- Understanding of semiconductor fabrication processes
- Research and/or industry experience
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. This position will be based out of our Fremont headquarters and will be required to work partially remotely temporarily. Longer term, this position will be a hybrid onsite/remote role with at least 3 to 4 days of onsite work per week.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join. After their first year, they are also eligible to take an annual 2-3 week paid sabbatical.
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.