Mechanical Engineer, Cryo-RF Packaging
Berkeley, CA /
QPU – Hardware Engineering /
As a Mechanical Engineer on the Rigetti Cryo-RF packaging team you will design, build, and validate silicon device packaging and related components at the core of our quantum computing system, forming the most direct interface between the milli-kelvin cryogenic vacuum environment and the superconducting qubits themselves. This involves design of mechanical components and assemblies in SolidWorks CAD, selection of materials and fabrication processes for this unique and challenging environment, performing detailed tolerance analyses to guarantee reliable alignment of RF electrical contacts and other components under extreme thermal cycling, developing reliable precision assembly procedures, and performing experimental studies to validate performance expectations. You will be working closely with a team of electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and physicists, as well as outside component suppliers, to define system and component requirements, and integrate your designs into functional customer-deployed quantum computers.
As scientific and engineering leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who built it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities, and other under represented groups are strongly encouraged.
- Experienced user of mechanical 3D CAD software for component and assembly modeling
- Demonstrated ability to work on multi-physics problems, especially thermal and mechanical effects in semiconductor/lithographic materials
- Familiarity with packaging requirements for electronic devices, especially RF components
- Understanding of tolerance analysis and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Familiarity with documentation control, revision management, and PLM systems
- Experience with Design For Manufacturing (DFM) and manufacturing process design and validation
- Experience developing assembly processes, documentation, and validation test plans
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to interact across different disciplines
- Experience developing semiconductor packaging solutions and/or integrated microwave assemblies
- Familiarity with design requirements for cryogenic environments
- Knowledge of micro- and nano-fabrication techniques or experience developing MEMS technology
- Python scripting (especially including e.g. numpy and scipy for scientific computing) for analysis and equipment automation
- Exposure to RF engineering concepts and modeling tools
- BS degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experienced with SolidWorks
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. This position will be based out of our Berkeley headquarters and will be required to work partially remotely temporarily. Longer term, this position will be a hybrid onsite/remote role with at least 3 to 4 days of onsite work per week.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.