Quantum Test Engineer
Berkeley, CA /
QPU – Quantum Engineering /
As a Quantum Test Engineer you will contribute to the characterization of our quantum devices. As we work towards scaling, improving the performance, and deploying more of our devices, you will be responsible for measuring and analyzing R&D devices, characterizing newly fabricated chips, and assessing the deployability of these chips for production. Your role will also include working closely with the broader full stack quantum engineering team to iterate and improve upon our measurement software and characterization procedures. The Quantum Test Engineer position is an exciting new role at Rigetti, whose definition will evolve over time with significant room for growth for the right candidate.
We are looking for a driven individual who is excited to apply fundamental physics knowledge in conjunction with proven software or electrical engineering experience to the challenge of testing state of the art quantum devices.
- Characterizing (measurement and analysis) of R&D chips for the full-stack quantum engineering team
- Working with quantum engineers and software engineers to develop new measurement techniques and refine existing ones
- Automating qubit calibration and optimization
- Learning the physics and engineering behind superconducting qubits and applying this knowledge to analyze and improve device performance
- Qualifying chips for deployment to users
- BS in Engineering Physics/Physics/Electrical Engineering/Chemistry or related field
- Proficiency in Python or a similar language
- 1+ years of internship or full time work experience in industry or academia
- Undergraduate coursework in quantum mechanics
Nice to Have:
- Prior technical role in an industry or start-up environment
- Familiarity with standard physics lab equipment and practices
- Experience with RF measurement techniques, signal processing and/or software-defined radio
- Prior exposure to basic concepts of qubits and quantum computing or two level quantum systems more generally (eg. NMR)
- Experience with cryogenic systems and/or superconductivity
- Experience with git, unit tests, and collaborative code development
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. This position will be based out of our Berkeley headquarters and may be required to work remotely temporarily. Longer term, this position will likely be a hybrid role (primarily onsite with some remote work opportunities).
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.