Junior Process Engineer (Etch)
Fremont, CA /
Fabrication – Fabrication /
Rigetti Computing is developing cloud-deployed quantum computers to solve humanity’s most pressing and valuable problems. We are a highly diverse and interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers working at the cutting edge of technology in a mission-driven entrepreneurial environment. We believe that bringing together teams from various cultures, educational backgrounds, and technical disciplines helps them to see things from more points of view and to make great products that change the world for the better.
As Junior Process Engineer, you will be in charge of development and sustaining activities in dry and wet-etch and related tools and processes toward building novel quantum integrated devices and circuits. You will spend your time immersed in the hands-on fabrication of these devices. You will work in a fast-paced environment with a wide range of engineers and scientists in process, integration, design and quantum engineering.
- Develop and drive implementation of dry etch (RIE, ICP, DRIE) and wet-etch solutions
- Develop, establish, document and maintain monitors and processes controls to run an efficient and predictable process
- Develop and implement etch roadmap, work with process owners and vendors to develop new capabilities
- Responsible for working with vendors and internal customers for purchase, install and qualification of new tools
- Key member of the team to help establish Rigetti Fab as a leading quantum integrated circuit foundry
- Day-to-day process duties include sustaining tools and process, driving continuous improvement projects, and working with integration and development teams to develop new processes
- Responsible for equipment and process calibration and monitors and controls to run an efficient and predictable etch process
- Organize data, draw correlations from process interactions and present results in a concise fashion
- Understand present and future etch challenges and requirements and communicate these regularly to management
- Work with other fab team members, be responsible for tools, material, metrology, and process aspects of the etch modules
- Work with facilities and tool suppliers to maintain high uptime of tools and module
- Show ability to work independently and manage stakeholders
- Show ability to deal with ambiguity in defining activities and direction.
- Should have good planning skills with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelors with up to 5 years experience, Masters with up to 4 years experience, or a Ph.D. with up to 3 years experience with relevant hands-on experience in physics, chemistry, materials science or equivalent background
- Excellent oral communication skills, ability to work in fast-paced team environment
- High degree of comfort with flexible, agile small company environment
- Comfortable with MS Office products, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, JMP, Google-docs and Google-sheets
- Comfortable working in Clean Room environment, including hygiene protocols and hazmat handling protocols
- Working knowledge of SPC, root-cause fixes and application of containment solutions such as six-sigma or 8D is a plus
- Understanding of downstream, upstream and end-of-line interactions with etch is a plus
- Hands-on experience with semiconductor tools. Experience with RIE, ICP, DRIE tools and wet-etch is a plus.
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. Please note that this position will be based out of our Fremont headquarters and will be required to work onsite four (4) days a week. Employees must follow strict protocols to ensure the safety of others, including but not limited to: social distancing, wearing a mask, frequent hand washing, and keeping daily temperature logs.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.