Quantum IC Design Engineer
Fabrication – Fabrication
As a Quantum IC Design Engineer, you will drive systematic improvements to Rigetti Computing’s quantum processors through modeling and design. You will be actively involved in realizing the chips that are at the core of our technology stack. You will contribute to our quantum hardware simulation tools and use them to model the classical and quantum dynamics of superconducting circuits. You will lay out and design multi-qubit circuits for fabrication and develop next-generation quantum processors.
- Design, lay out, and simulate quantum processors
- Build CAD models of circuits and simulate them using commercial software (HFSS)
- Use custom simulation tools (Julia) to perform quantum analysis
- Collaborate with fabrication and experimental teams to determine different circuit architectures to fabricate and measure
- Formal mathematical skills, specifically linear algebra and analysis
- Software engineering experience (Python, Julia is a plus)
- BS or BASc in Physics/Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across diverse teams of expert engineers
- Understanding of quantum mechanics, preferably including circuit quantum electrodynamics
- Knowledge of computational modeling, in particular of quantum circuits, integrated or lumped element electrical circuit
- Demonstrated contributions to open source software
- Experience using commercial EM solvers (HFSS, COMSOL, CST)
- Research and/or industry experience
- Understanding of semiconductor fabrication processes
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 140 people.
For more information, refer to our About page.
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.