Electrical Engineer - Control Systems
Berkeley, CA /
QPU – Hardware Engineering /
As an Electrical Engineer on the Rigetti Control Systems team, you will design, develop, and deploy hardware to generate microwave pulses that control and readout the qubits in our quantum computing system. This involves designing FPGA-based digital hardware and writing Verilog code to run on it. It will also involve working in the lab testing and validating hardware. You’ll be working closely with other engineers on the team and with many different teams with different backgrounds. This includes embedded software engineers, mechanical engineers and physicists to help define requirements, build tools and test the system. This will require an ability to collaborate, communicate effectively (both written and oral), and to understand problems at a system level and be willing to trade off where necessary.
- Demonstrated success taking designs from conception through the full design cycle, including manufacturing, test
- Experience with Verilog/VHDL and digital hardware design as well as modern FPGA development and toolchains
- Knowledge of signal processing concepts: Nyquist zones, convolution, cross-correlation, numerically-controlled oscillators
- Familiarity with PCB design and layout as well as PCB manufacturing
- Experience working with standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, vector network analyzers, etc.)
- Ability to work on a team and to jump in and help get projects over the finish line
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to interact across different disciplines
- Python scripting, (especially the scientific python stack eg. numpy, scipy)
- Understanding of RF design and test
- You are well educated in Electrical Engineering or in an equivalent field and have had enough professional experience under your belt to have owned projects from start to finish, independently demonstrated creative problem solving for complex challenges, and have developed your expertise in a specialized area within an industry setting (ideally within digital FPGA, Signal Processing, or RF)
- You have collaborated on a team of seasoned Electrical/Hardware Engineers and have successfully worked with cross functional stakeholders and leaders to meet deliverables and compromise on solutions
- Ideally, you will have experience working at a startup or dynamic work environment where resources are limited
- You are intellectually curious and are not afraid to admit when you are wrong. In fact, you use those moments as opportunities to embody a continuous learning and growth mindset.
- You are energized by the thought of having to figure out how multiple complex systems all come together and are excited to improve things both inside and outside your technical domain.
- You practice humility but are not shy to insert yourself in situations where you could be of help.
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. Please note that this position will require an average of 3 days onsite at our Berkeley headquarters per week. All onsite personal will be required to follow strict safety and scheduling protocols.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.