Director of Josephson Junction Process Technology
Fremont, CA /
Fabrication – Fabrication /
Rigetti Computing is developing cloud-deployed quantum computers to solve humanity’s most pressing and valuable problems. We are a diverse and interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers working at the cutting edge of technology in a mission-driven entrepreneurial environment. As Director of Josephson Junction Process Technology, you will be responsible for the continuous improvement of the quantum performance of our chips. You will maintain the development roadmap of fabrication process changes that deliver increased coherence and yield, and work within the larger Fabrication organization to implement those changes in production. You will manage the interdisciplinary team that designs experiments, characterizes chip performance, and analyzes data to guide roadmap decisions.
- Own and drive all Josephson junction (JJ) process technology continuous learning and improvement activities. Includes everything from lithography, deposition, oxidation, materials and methods as well as design work for JJ research and development.
- Develop and maintain the qubit performance roadmap, updating as needed, and execute against it. Through improvements to materials, fabrication process, and circuit design, this roadmap delivers:
- Consistent and sustained improvements in quantum coherence, as measured by quality factors of superconducting microwave resonators and lifetime/dephasing time of superconducting qubits
- Reduced prevalence of unwanted two-level systems (TLS) in frequency spectra
- Increased device manufacturability and yield
- Improved targeting and reduced variation of JJ Cold Frequencies
- Continuous monitoring and reporting of key performance indicators associated with quantum device performance
- Managing and leading diverse technical team with broad work scope, including process engineering, physics, data analysis and tool management
- Developing Designs of Experiments (DoE) to rigorously test and establish statistical performance impact on key performance and yield metrics of JJ process and qubit or device performance.
- Working with stakeholders across the company to execute R&D work though chip design and fabrication groups, and smoothly implement successful ideas in production processes.
- Identifying and building collaborations with outside research organizations (government labs, academic groups) for longer-term projects to find continuous improvements to JJ yield, coherence, TLS, and other key performance metrics.
- MS or PhD in physics, electrical engineering, materials science, or related field
- 10+ years experience in superconducting, semiconducting, or MEMS fabrication-related R&D
- Experience with at least one of the following: Josephson junction, MOSFET gate-oxide, or tunnel junction design and fabrication
- A balance of both Physics insight on tunnel junctions and Fabrication development experience - could be deeper in either one but need to have some experience in the other one.
- Experience in building, managing and mentoring talented technical teams
- Familiarity with principles of microwave engineering, superconductivity, and cryogenics
- Familiarity with software management, especially in Python, to help direct the team on drafting codebase changes that would use GIT
- Thrive on interdisciplinary collaboration
- Strong communication skills, including presenting and explaining complex data and influencing horizontal stakeholders and executive management
- Eagerness to tackle hard problems at the forefront of science and engineering
- Experience in quantum computing/information is bonus, but at minimum applicants should be enthusiastic about diving deep into this exciting field
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. This position will be based out of our Fremont headquarters and will be required to work partially remotely temporarily. Longer term, this position will be a hybrid onsite/remote role with at least 3 to 4 days of onsite work per week.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join. After their first year, they are also eligible to take an annual 2-3 week paid sabbatical.
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.