Electrical Engineer, RF Signal Delivery
Berkeley, CA /
QPU – Hardware Engineering /
As an Electrical Engineer on the Rigetti Cryo-RF team you will design, build, and validate hardware that forms the signal chain for control and readout of our quantum computing system, from room temperature to the milli-kelvin cryogenic vacuum environment where the superconducting qubits operate. This involves design of printed circuit boards (PCBs) and selection of components for DC and RF signals up to 10 GHz, selection of materials and fabrication processes to balance competing electrical and thermal conductivity requirements, and working with component manufacturers, PCB fabrication suppliers, and electronic assemblers to ensure that manufactured components perform reliably as intended. You will be working closely with a team of electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and physicists to define system and component requirements, and integrate your designs into functional customer-deployed quantum computers.
As scientific and engineering leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who built it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities, and other under represented groups are strongly encouraged.
- Experienced user of electrical CAD software for schematic and layout design (Altium preferred).
- Understanding of design requirements for performance of RF analog signal routing, including impedance control and crosstalk mitigation.
- Detailed practical understanding of multi-layer and HDI printed circuit board manufacturing and assembly processes and tradeoffs.
- Familiarity with mechanical packaging interface requirements and tolerances.
- Experience with lab equipment including vector network analyzers for performance characterization and troubleshooting of RF circuits.
- Experience collaborating with electrical fabrication and assembly vendors and supplier quality engineers to perform root cause analysis of failures and develop corrective action plans .
- Ability to design and characterize test procedures for electrical components, and perform meaningful analysis of the resulting data.
- Familiarity with revision-control and documentation-control processes.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to interact across different disciplines.
- Familiarity with superconducting materials and behavior.
- Knowledge of parametric design techniques for PCB layout CAD automation.
- Familiarity with mechanical CAD software for collaboration (SolidWorks preferred).
- Familiarity with soldering process design for PCB assembly.
- Familiarity with wire-bonding process design.
- Familiarity with 3D electromagnetic finite-element modeling (FEM) using HFSS or similar tools.
- Python scripting (especially including e.g. numpy and scipy for scientific computing) for analysis and equipment automation.
- Demonstrated experience pushing the boundaries of industry-standard fabrication processes.
- BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.