Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer
United States /
Software Engineering – Software Engineering /
Rigetti Computing is building the world’s most powerful computers to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. We believes this technology will fundamentally change the world for the better and will affect nearly every industry over the coming decades. We've recently raised our Series C funding and are now expanding our Software Engineering capabilities!
Here at Rigetti, the Software Engineering team's mission is to support and enable the development our proprietary Quantum Computing hardware. As part of the team, you will further the development of our Quantum Cloud Systems API, the sole interface by which researchers and enterprises around the world can interact with our state-of-the-art quantum computers. You can think of this as the front end of Rigetti’s “operating system for Quantum Computing".
In order to thrive in this role, you should be skilled and interested in building, maintaining, and deploying quality software in a distributed service architecture for production environments. While expertise in Physics or Quantum Mechanics is not an absolute requirement, we hope to find someone who is excited, if not familiar with, supporting and working with scientists, particularly physicists, and hardware engineers. Because this is a highly creative and collaborative role, you will have the opportunity to embody an "inventor" mindset, bounce unique ideas with the team, and own solutions to cutting edge challenges that very few have encountered before. You can also take pride in being one of the few software engineers supporting the development of the world's "next generation" of computing.
As scientific and engineering leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who built it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities, and other under represented groups are strongly encouraged.
You Are a Great Fit If:
- You have experience building mission-critical, reliable, and performant systems.
- You enjoy leading a high-level architecture discussion one moment, and then translating that discussion into reliable production code the next.
- You prize the quality of the software that you write. You rigorously test and document software intended for production use, follow common language conventions and well-known patterns, and rely heavily on automation for testing and deployment.
- You know how to design an API to avoid breaking changes, and how to migrate clients when it can’t be avoided.
- You are knowledgeable about non-trivial parts of service design, such as distributed authorization, error handling, pagination, and versioning.
- You are versed in best practices for tracing, monitoring, and logging for distributed services.
- You work independently and are comfortable leading the design and implementation of a software package or service from high-level requirements.
- Fluency in all or most of Golang, Python, React, and SQL
- Deep experience building and maintaining schema-driven, widely accessible web APIs (OpenAPI, GraphQL, gRPC/Protobuf)
- Experience building and maintaining client-side SDKs and/or web frontend applications
- Experience architecting, building, and deploying microservice architectures
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience with deploying in Kubernetes and/or service mesh architectures
- Experience with streaming systems (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis)
- Experience in programming language and/or compiler development
- Academic background in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Physics
- Knowledge of quantum computing and applications
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. We are open to candidates who are interested in working remotely full time, so long as they are based within the United States and can commit to working pacific standard time hours. Occasional visits to our Berkeley Headquarters may be required.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.