Senior Software Engineer, Quantum Compilation
United States /
Software Engineering – Software Engineering /
Rigetti Computing is building the world’s most powerful computers to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. We believes this technology will fundamentally change the world for the better and will affect nearly every industry over the coming decades. We've recently raised our Series C funding and are now expanding our Software Engineering capabilities!
Here at Rigetti, the Software Engineering team's mission is to support and enable the development our proprietary custom Quantum Computing hardware. For this role, you will improve and optimize our execution stack for quantum programs and will work hand in hand with our leading team of physicists and hardware engineers. Your software will sit at the execution point of quantum computation, and as such, you can think of this role as an opportunity to build and define the "operating system" layer of our quantum machines.
While expertise in Physics or Quantum Mechanics is not an absolute requirement for this position, we hope to find someone who has production level compiler experience and a strong foundation in mathematics.
As scientific and engineering leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who built it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities, and other under represented groups are strongly encouraged.
- You enjoy working across disciplines and are eager to learn from experts outside of your field.
- You communicate clearly and effectively, and understand domain-driven software design.
- You take pride in the quality and performance of the software you write, and have experience maintaining software in production.
Role and Responsibilities:
- You will drive the design and development of our quantum compilation software, which adapts Quil code into a program ready to execute on a selected quantum processor. This software performs mathematical transformation and optimization of quantum programs.
- You’ll be a member of a small team of experts responsible for all public-facing Rigetti applications, and work closely with others to integrate features and changes.
- You’ll work at the intersection of many teams. You will partner with quantum applications researchers to understand use cases, collaborate with embedded software engineers to optimize for runtime performance, and work alongside full-stack engineers on web service integration.
- Fluency in Python, our common language across domains
- Experience writing and maintaining compiler software and/or mathematics-centered software
- Proven ability to synthesize research findings into resilient, useful software
- Advanced degree in mathematics or computer science
- Competence in any of: C++, Golang, gRPC, PostgreSQL, Rust, and/or Common Lisp
- Contributor to compilation-related publications and research
- Experience in RPC API design and construction
Why You Should Join:
- Opportunity to think creatively, bounce ideas, and design software alongside world-class scientists
- Opportunity to come up with unique solutions for technical challenges that very few have encountered before
- Ability to leverage cutting edge scientific research in your day to day work and build systems that enable and inspire further groundbreaking research
- Can take pride in being one of the few software engineers supporting the development of the world's "next generation" of computing
As we continue to navigate these unprecedented times, we have committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and have adopted a virtual interview process. This is a full time role where remote work is allowed. We are open to candidates based anywhere within the United States, so long as they can commit to working pacific standard time hours. Occasional visits to our Berkeley Headquarters may be required.
Benefits and Perks:
Rigetti seeks individuals who are motivated by grand challenges and the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the exciting quantum computing space. As long-term visionaries, we offer employees opportunities for continuous personal and professional growth so they can advance our mission to help solve humanity's most important and pressing problems. To support the financial success and health of our employees and their families, we offer the following benefits in addition to a competitive base salary:
- 401k Plan
- Generous Equity Grant
- 98% coverage on Medical (Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross), Guardian Dental, Guardian Vision
- Anthem Blue Cross Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Opportunities for additional performance-based equity grants or bonuses
To help our employees bring their best selves to work, we also offer various perks to support each individual to perform at their highest level and foster work life balance. All full-time exempt employees are eligible for:
- Unlimited PTO as soon as they join
- Fitness Activity & Gym Membership Reimbursement
- 16 Week Paid Parental Leave
- FSA & Commuter Benefits
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Work Schedule
As we continue to grow our company, we will prioritize applicants who have created a thoughtful application and share our vision and passion for quantum computing. While we regret that we can't hire every applicant, we keep applications on file for 2 years and will reach out if you're a good fit for a future opportunity.
Rigetti Computing is on a mission to build the world’s most powerful computers. Based in Berkeley and Fremont, CA, we are scientists, engineers, builders, and visionaries who believe quantum computing is going to significantly affect health care, how we treat disease, how we generate energy, and how we feed humanity. We design and fabricate quantum circuits and deploy them as quantum computers available online. Our engineers build the full stack of technologies that are integrated into these machines, including cryogenic hardware and microwave circuitry, advanced analog and digital control modules, and a software stack that provides the world’s most advanced SDK and runtime environment for quantum computers. Our quantum computer is available through Our product, Quantum Cloud Services, which is the world’s first full-stack programming and execution environment for quantum/classical computing. We were founded by Chad Rigetti in 2013, and today employ over 120 people.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants authorized to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.