Software Engineer, Backend - Remote (US or International)
We’re seeking a hands-on, experienced backend engineer who can drive the implementation of our distributed systems. You will be working closely on improving Apache Druid, ensuring that the performance meets our customer SLAs. In addition, you would work with the Apache Druid community and help grow it. You’re joining a culture that is open, works smart, and has fun -- with ample space to make your mark.
- Our product is a cloud-hosted, workspace application for business intelligence, enabling users and organizations to create, edit, and share data tables and dashboards powered by our Druid database engine.
- As such, your responsibilities would include:
- Contributing to Open Source Apache Druid development
- Building scalable ingestion systems that can handle billions of events
- Improving Druid query functionality to improve performance and add new features
- Manage and Scale hosted Saas offering that provides fault tolerance and consistency in at scale for 1000s of nodes
- Developing the streaming analytics pipelines service requires an impossible breadth of knowledge and experience, no individual will have all of them, and thus will be expected to learn some of these on the job.
- 5+ years of experience building distributed fault-tolerant systems such as Cassandra, Kafka, Pinot, Clickhouse, ElasticSearch, MongoDb, Druid, or Zookeeper.
- Experience developing high concurrency, performance-oriented Java systems.
- Using standard tools to tune, profile, and debug Java Virtual Machines (JVM).
- A solid grasp of good software engineering practices such as code reviews and a deep focus on testability and quality.
- Strong communication skills: ability to explain complex technical concepts to designers, support staff, and other engineers.
- Previous experience contributing to Open source projects is a plus
- Exposure to Big Data systems such as Hadoop, Presto, Spark, ElasticSearch, or relational databases like MySQL or Postgres is a strong plus.
Recognizing this, here are some of the key qualifications we seek in a successful candidate for this role:
- Rill makes it easy to create and consume metrics by combining a SQL-based data modeler, real-time database, and metrics dashboard into a single product—a simple alternative to complex BI stacks. Our thousands of users love Rill for the "magical" experience of our real-time, interactive (and easy-to-use!) dashboards. Founded at the start of Covid, Rill is a remote-first company that values human connection. Our team is truly global, with co-founders in the Bay Area and India - with the team spread across the US, Europe and Asia.
We believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to create innovative products that improve the way people live and communicate. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.