Software Development Engineer - Mobile
Santa Monica, CA
Engineering – Engineering / Mobile
Ring is looking for a Software Development Engineer who will help us create the next generation of apps, and services. In this role, you will work as a part of the Neighbors team working closely with a cross-functional team of engineers, marketers, designers, and product managers to design, test, learn, and iterate on solutions in a fast-paced environment.
The Neighbors App was built to help make neighborhoods safer. Over the past few years we have learned that when neighbors, the Ring team, and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. Available to everyone with an iOS or Android device, Neighbors sends you real-time crime and safety alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement, and the Ring team. As a Software Development Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of the Neighbors product building backend services to serve our customers.
- Design and document distributed systems and microservices
- Implement robust and maintainable code with clear and maintained documentation
- Delivering customer value in iterative fashion while working towards longer term systems to solve roadmap goals with increasing efficiency.
- Communicate status and changes to the work they are responsible and accountable for, keep all stakeholders informed of changes and updates to original plan.
- Implement test automation on all code implemented through unit testing and integration testing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of application development experience with Android
- Development experience in Java and Kotlin Android environments
- Experience with Android frameworks
- Experience applying computer science fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience communicating technical problems to both technical and business audiences verbally and in writing
- Experience in mobile design patterns (MVVM), building mobile frameworks / SDKs, building custom UX widgets and optimizing apps for performance (Instruments)
- Experience writing testable code and automating test regressions
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining an Android app
- Experience with REST architecture for web services
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Ring's mission is to make neighborhoods safer by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of home security products and services. The Ring product line, along with the Ring Neighbors app, enable Ring to offer affordable, complete, proactive home and neighborhood security in a way no other company has before. In fact, two Newark, NJ neighborhoods saw an over 50 percent decrease in home break-ins after Ring Video Doorbells and Spotlight Cams were installed on 11% of homes in the communities from April-July 2018 when compared to the same time period in 2017. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics.