Software Development Engineer
Santa Monica, CA
Engineering – Engineering / Software
Ring is looking for a Software Development Engineer who will help us create the next generation of apps, and services. In this role, you will work as a part of the Neighbors team working closely with a cross-functional team of engineers, marketers, designers, and product managers to design, test, learn, and iterate on solutions in a fast-paced environment.
Ring launched the Neighbors app as a public safety communication tool that allows users to view and share real-time crime and safety alerts with their neighbors. Anyone with an iOS or Android device can download Neighbors and use the app to: view neighborhood activity; share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of the Neighbors product building backend services to serve our customers.
- Design and document distributed systems and microservices
- Implement robust and maintainable code with clear and maintained documentation
- Delivering customer value in iterative fashion while working towards longer term systems to solve roadmap goals with increasing efficiency
- Communicate status and changes to the work they are responsible and accountable for, keep all stakeholders informed of changes and updates to original plan
- Implement test automation on all code implemented through unit testing and integration testing
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of experience working on production systems
- 3+ years of experience working with OO design/development principles
- 3+ years of experience working with RESTful architecture for web services
- 3+ Experience in a variety of modern programming languages (Java, C/C++, Go, Ruby, Python) and open-source technologies (Linux, SQLite, OpenGL, Spring, Hibernate)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working with AWS services (S3, CloudFormation, DynamoDB, EC2)
- Experience working with cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operation
Ring's mission is to make neighborhoods safer by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of home security products and services. The Ring product line, along with the RingNeighbors app, enable Ring to offer affordable, complete, proactive home and neighborhood security in a way no other company has before. In fact, two Newark, NJ neighborhoods saw an over50 percent decrease in home break-ins after Ring Video Doorbells and Spotlight Cams were installed on 11% of homes in the communities from April-July 2018 when compared to the same time period in 2017. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics.