Senior Hardware Failure Analysis Engineer
Santa Monica, CA
Engineering – Engineering / Hardware
Ring is looking for a Sr Failure Analysis Engineer to join our team in Santa Monica. Our team of Failure Analysis Engineers is tasked with solving systemic hardware issues and building tools to detect and mitigate any future recurrences and improve the quality of our products to our customers. We work closely with our development engineers and vendors to get to root cause and drive changes back into our products.
As a member of the Ring Failure Analysis team, your primary responsibilities include root cause failure analysis of electronic, mechanical and or electromechanical components including. You will work with other subject matter experts in video, motion sensing, power and communication technologies to help improve the products and customer experience. You will lead cross functional investigations within the global Ring organization.
- Identify and research failures down to component level to improve product yield, quality and reliability
- Perform PCBA debugging on RMA return, determine the root cause of failure, analyze failure reports and recommend corrective action to prevent reoccurrence of problems
- Work with functional teams as needed to understand device issues
- Articulate conclusions to the team and advocate for appropriate action
- Drive FA cases end to end - from discovery to corrective action and continuous improvement
- Develop new diagnostic tools or tests and more efficient FA techniques
- Leverage other FA engineering resources to prioritize and complete investigations effectively
- Read circuit schematics and layouts, and apply failure analysis procedures to identify the failure location and the root causes
- Write comprehensive failure analysis reports, including charts and photographs
- BS degree in EE
- 5+ years of relevant work experience with connected, electromechanical devices and debugging issues in production or in manufacturing
- 5+ years of experience with specialized FA lab equipment such as SEM, ion beam miller, etc
- 3+ years of support experience to quickly identify root cause and resolve issues
- 1+ years embedded, database or python programming experience
- 1+ years of experience with electronic test equipment (digital/analog) such as Logic analyzer, oscilloscope and test systems to do board failure analysis and debug
- Master degree or higher in EE, CE, or CS
- Deep and up to date technical understanding of protocols and debugging methods for related technologies with prior experience both launching new product as well as driving continuous product improvements
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals across functional teams and ability to meet or exceed expected timelines for projects
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Demonstrated ability to uncover systemic issues and drive failure analysis to root cause swiftly and accurately
- Ability to influence cross functional teams and external partners
- Proficient with SQL & Excel
- Building and debugging electronic projects as a hobby
- Ability to solder surface mount electronic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Ring's mission is to make neighborhoods safer by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of home security products and services. The Ring product line, along with the Ring Neighbors app, enable Ring to offer affordable, complete, proactive home and neighborhood security in a way no other company has before. In fact, two Newark, NJ neighborhoods saw an over 50 percent decrease in home break-ins after Ring Video Doorbells and Spotlight Cams were installed on 11% of homes in the communities from April-July 2018 when compared to the same time period in 2017. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics.