Principal Software Development Engineer - Ring Cloud Services
Santa Monica, CA
Engineering / Software
Ring has a mission to reduce crime in neighborhoods. With affordable solutions that work on any home, Ring is committed to offering smart security that’s accessible to everyone. Now Ring is part of the Amazon Devices family, and are seeking engineers who will help us create the next generation of home security. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Principal Software Development Engineer, you will provide technical leadership, establish technical standards, define engineering practices and engineering methodologies for cutting-edge large-scale services. You will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive, design, and bring to market innovative consumer electronics products. You will work closely with an internal interdisciplinary team and outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution, and test. You will solve distributed-systems problems, work with video streaming and high-performance computing, both on CPU and on GPU, define API for different clients from desktop to mobile applications. You will be hands-on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs. As a Principal Engineer at Amazon.com, you will set examples of excellence for the entire Amazon engineering community.
- Have strong foundations in software development, design patterns, and cloud computing
- Have experience working with large scale cloud systems, understanding how to architect and build them
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to bring our computer vision technology to their roadmap
- Be highly effective and thrive in a dynamic environment with multiple, changing priorities
- Promote robust and maintainable code, clear documentation, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Be comfortable with proactive outward communication and technical leadership and never shy away from a challenge
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Contribute intellectual property through patents
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices
- Strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 15+ years of software engineering experience designing and delivering systems and software products
- 15+ years of experience with OO design/development skills and a track record for driving projects from concept to prototype and finally implementation
- 10+ years of experience in REST architecture for web services
- 15+ years of experience in a variety of modern programming languages (Java, C/C++, Go, Python) and open-source technologies (Linux, SQLite, OpenGL, Spring, Hibernate)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with working on AWS services(S3, CloudFormation, DynamoDB, EC2).
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience mentoring/training an engineering community on complex technical issues
- Proficient in networking, distributed, asynchronous, and concurrent programming
Ring's mission is to reduce crime in neighborhoods and empower consumers by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of smart home security products: Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Ring Stick Up Cam and the new Ring Floodlight Cam. With these security devices, Ring has created the neighborhood watch for the digital age and continues to keep homes around the world safe. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you're always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.