Software Development Manager
Santa Monica, CA
Engineering – Engineering / Software
Ring is looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to join our growing Cloud Development Team. Ring’s mission is to make neighborhoods safer. Ring is committed to offering effective, affordable home security solutions that are accessible to everyone. Ring is seeking technical managers who will help us create the next generation of home security. What will you help us create?
As a Software Development Manager at Ring, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers working on cutting-edge, large-scale cloud services that will be used by millions of Ring customers. This position gives you the opportunity to work with world class engineers and to build cloud systems to support millions of devices. You will be working on the continuous development of the Ring infrastructure. You will work with streaming video, large scale deployments, and high-performance computing as well as solve distributed systems problems. This position involves team management, design, architecture, and operation of large-scale cloud systems.
We are looking for a talented Software Development Manager with a strong technical background, customer obsession, and solid people management skills to manage and develop a high-powered engineering team. As a part of a rapidly expanding small team, you will be required to have solid hiring and new hire development skills. Strong judgment and communication skills, long-term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for success.
- Working with internal and external teams to bring Ring technology to market
- Ownership of the overall systems development life cycle
- Execution against project plans and timely delivery of committed results
- Management of day-to-day activities of the engineering teams within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, and mentoring
- Building, enhancing, and maintaining a best in class engineering team
- Working closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical designs
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Maintenance and enhancement of software frameworks for development
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years of experience building successful production software systems
- 3+ years people management experience
- Experience with REST services
- Experience programming in Go, Ruby, or Java
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of experience doing hands-on software development
- Deep understanding of cloud software development in a team and a track record of shipping software on time
- Experience working with AWS services (S3, DynamoDB, EC2)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and remote teams, both technical and non-technical
- Strong track record of project delivery for large, cross functional projects
- Strong business and technical vision
- A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ring's mission is to make neighborhoods safer by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of home security products and services. The Ring product line, along with the RingNeighbors app, enable Ring to offer affordable, complete, proactive home and neighborhood security in a way no other company has before. In fact, two Newark, NJ neighborhoods saw an over50 percent decrease in home break-ins after Ring Video Doorbells and Spotlight Cams were installed on 11% of homes in the communities from April-July 2018 when compared to the same time period in 2017. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics.