Lead Audio - Systems Architect
Santa Monica, CA
Engineering / Hardware
As the lead audio-systems architect at Ring, you will lead the audio-system design for our voice enabled products. This role entails optimizing the existing audio transport architectures and designing future products for best-in-class two-way-audio performance. You will manage and guide a small team of acoustic and audio-algorithm engineers. You will also work with cross-disciplinary teams (mobile apps and back-end) to ensure that the entire audio chain meets system-wide goals. The ideal candidate will not only be able to lay out the high-level design, but also implement production-grade code in embedded DSPs and CPUs.
- Characterize and improve the end-to-end, full-duplex audio performance of Ring devices.
- Optimize audio pipeline and processing blocks for maximum perceivability of human speech.
- Work with industrial designers and review mechanical designs for optimal sound quality.
- Be aware of emerging technologies and select cutting-edge components.
- 5+ years of engineering experience, with at least 2+ years of focus on digital audio systems (preferably VoIP systems, voice-enabled smart devices, or other full-duplex communication systems).
- B.S./M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or another relevant field.
- Understanding of audio-processing algorithms such as ASNR, AEC, ASR and the ability to design and implement these in hardware.
- Strong familiarity with I2S/PCM interfaces, class-D amplifiers, digital microphones, audio codecs, etc.
- Familiar with common streaming protocols for audio, error correction methods for non-ideal channels; strong understanding of UDP/TCP.
- Fluency in C/C++, DSP development, SIMD/NEON optimizations
- Proficient in MATLAB
- Experienced with test platforms such as Audio Precision, SoundCheck, etc.
- Comfortable using Logic Analyzers, Oscilloscopes, Spectrum Analyzers, soldering stations, etc.
Ring's mission is to reduce crime in neighborhoods and empower consumers by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities with its suite of smart home security products: Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Ring Stick Up Cam and the new Ring Floodlight Cam. With these security devices, Ring has created the neighborhood watch for the digital age and continues to keep homes around the world safe. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you're always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Ring Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.