Software Engineer - Data Analytics
Network – Information Systems /
Full Time Employee /
The RISE mission is to Accelerate Internet for the Philippines - we do this by focusing on the overall customer experience; providing excellent internet services while creating a positive impact on our partners and their industries.
From very humble beginnings and with a desire to carry out our mission, we have grown to serve business and wholesale customers in Cebu, Manila, and Davao. Our business customers come from varying industries, such as real estate, IT, and business process outsourcing, to name a few. Nonetheless, they all have one thing in common: they require high-quality service and great customer support.
To deliver the best customer experience, RISE works exclusively with technical services company Pathfinders, through which we maintain our benchmark average of 1.8 weeks installation time for business clients. Together, we operate GetaFIX, the biggest Internet eXchange in the Philippines that helps the efficiency of content and connectivity in the country. We also operate Open Access Network, a Fiber as a Service offering that helps reduce complexity for developers and telecommunication companies while increasing customer satisfaction.
Throughout the group, we foster a performance-based culture, where team members are encouraged to take ownership and exceed expectations for their projects. We practice transparency by conducting regular check-ins and quarterly performance reviews, which helps us achieve goals and continuously advance together. We promote work-life balance and have team activities, such as monthly get-togethers to celebrate our wins, and sponsor work-related training and conferences.
Be part of a growing mission-oriented business that requires new leaders who are proficient, proactive, and direct. Be rewarded with great colleagues, a supportive environment, a competitive salary, and a compensation package that includes HMO for you and your family. Flex time is offered for some roles and your teammates will be there to help as you further hone your skills and accomplish responsibilities. Make a difference and grow with us.
As a Data Engineer, you will help us build our information system, which is used by our staff globally. The RISE mission is to accelerate the internet for the Philippines—we do this by focusing on the overall customer experience, providing excellent internet services and creating a positive impact on our partners and industry.
What you will be doing
- Analyze and develop solutions to information needs in our business
- Design, develop, deploy, and test new information and data processing applications in accordance to our quality standards
- Perform preventive maintenance, identify and execute improvements, and refactor existing code base, including our legacy applications
- Monitor, respond, and resolve incidents in production
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure that host our applications in production
- Support our internal staff and stakeholders’ inquiries and issues with the applications in use
- Investigate and create proofs of concepts, such as in using external services, APIs, programming libraries, and data source systems
- Contribute in the development of user guides and knowledge base of applications in use
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Computer Science
- Proficiency in developing scripts and applications for data ETL and reporting purposes
- Proficiency in standard software engineering practices (i.e. source code management, continuous integration, automated tests, pair programming)
- 2+ years experience in end-to-end IT management
- Proficiency and hands-on experience with implementing, configuring, and testing IT solutions
- Experience in using cloud services and APIs, preferably with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Administration and shell usage of Linux-based systems (CentOS, Ubuntu)
- Highly customer-focused and able to provide a positive experience in conflict resolution
- Excellent communication skills and able to effectively convey messages or know-how to non-technical customers
- Highly dependable and responsive especially in urgent or time-sensitive situations
- Able to maintain high level of integrity and confidentiality
What we offer
- An environment of a sports team that is there to coach each other while being performant.
- A data and software culture that strives to build high quality IT systems.
- An organization of autonomous teams, exploring and trying out solutions in a safe environment.
- A place for you to learn, practice, develop yourself, and contribute to something meaningful.
- A front seat at a fast growing, global company with a lot of opportunities in software, IT, and technology with exposure in telecommunications and web.
- Flexibility and a wide array of health and well-being incentives to keep you balanced.
- An opportunity to work with some of the best and smartest people around.
- Hybrid WFHarrangement unless business need requires physical presence
- Travel may be required
- Overtime or on-call duties may be required
- Flex time or shift schedule may be required (or combination)
At RISE, we use a combination of internally developed IT applications, as well as external ones. Whenever possible, we aim to use an already built application from a vendor, and use it to its highest potential; and where needed, extend and integrate that with our internally built applications to form a consistent, cohesive information system that accelerates and supports us in achieving our business goals.
We aim to be a software-native company, and automate many of our business processes, and extensively use data to make the right decisions in real-time. We want to achieve this through a well-built, extensive information system that spans across all departments in the company, with a centralized information dashboard for analysis in supporting business decisions.
Our IT Application team is composed of 3 to 5 cross-functional members and is designed to be complete and responsible for delivering complete applications within our company. We expect our engineers to be not just writing code, but to participate in the entire process from investigating problems, designing solutions, and implementing them into features our staff will love. In addition, we have a leadership team that is composed of team leads, IT Managers, Process Managers, IT Operation Managers, that work together in leading the entire IT department.
We use a goal-oriented IT development roadmap to keep all our teams aligned, which is updated in a weekly cycle by the leadership team. Further, we maintain a corresponding release plan based on a 6-weeks release cycle, where we break down initiatives into sizable chunks that our teams can work with as little inter-team dependency as possible.
Our teams apply an agile process of weekly planning, retrospectives, daily check-in, pair programming, and use Trello to visualize our progress. All our code is version controlled in Github and all code changes go through a peer-review process.
We have a continuous delivery pipeline, using CircleCI, and perform deployment using automated tools (CodePipeline and CloudFormation) in our AWS production site. We built most of our automation tools and we expect all our engineers to participate in maintaining our development tools, delivery pipelines, and production sites.
Our teams are encouraged to spend time developing their knowledge and skills so they stay relevant in their field. We have self-initiated learning sessions and allocate time in weekly sprints for learning activities.
Our team recognizes the importance of your candidacy, and we want to ensure that your application receives the attention it deserves. We aim to give our applicants a good experience by being timely, efficient, and direct. Rest assured that your application will be carefully reviewed and processed promptly.