Middle and Upper School Classics (Latin/Attic Greek), Fall 2023 Semester Leave Replacement
Bronx, NY /
Middle and Upper Schools – Language Department /
Riverdale Country School is a Pre-K through grade 12 independent school in New York City committed to empowering lifelong learners by developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good. Riverdale seeks to reflect the diversity of the New York metropolitan area in its students, faculty, and staff. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) is the foundational core of community-building that supports the school’s mission and empowers all community members to be their whole selves and thrive-- especially those who historically have been and continue to be marginalized because of their cultural, ethnic, racial, linguistic, national, gender, sexual, spiritual, or socioeconomic identities and their physical, mental, or emotional well-being. Riverdale enrolls about 1,200 students who collectively reside in 117 different zip codes. Approximately 44% of our student body identify as students of color.
We seek to employ people who engage in all aspects of work with a student-centered approach, an open mind, passion, and a willingness to support the greater community. At Riverdale we recognize that the work of DEIB is iterative and requires a consistent commitment. Ideal candidates display that commitment in their work and/or in their approach to teaching and learning.
Riverdale’s Language Department seeks an enthusiastic and collegial teacher of Latin, with preference given to candidates who can also teach Attic Greek, for a leave replacement from August 21 - December 1, 2023. Our Classics program embraces progressive approaches to understanding ancient languages and cultures, while also maintaining rigorous attention to the grammatical, rhetorical, and historical analysis of classical texts. A passion for language learning, world cultures, and social justice characterizes our ideal candidate. We look for teachers who are not just experienced in their discipline but are lifelong learners, good collaborators, and take a holistic approach to student support and community engagement.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Classics (Latin/Greek) from an accredited college or university.
- 3-5 years experience teaching at the Middle and/or Upper School level
- Can effectively develop students’ oral, written, and intercultural competencies through authentic, communication-based engagement with the language.
- An interest in engaging students in an environment that is both supportive and rigorous
- Has experience in interdisciplinary teaching and learning
- A desire to participate in community activities including advising groups, service opportunities, or other co-curriculars.
- Demonstrated collegiality, collaboration, teamwork, and organization
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging work
- The salary range for this position is based on our faculty salary scale. Faculty are placed on “steps” on the scale based on years of experience and education. Sample steps for the academic year 2022-2023 are shown below in five-year increments:
- Step 1: $56,850
- Step 5: $62,429
- Step 10: $71,563 (Faculty are eligible for a sabbatical after 10 years of service at Riverdale. The cash equivalent of the sabbatical is approximately $37,000)
- Step 15: $79,203
- Step 20: $93,278 (Faculty are eligible for a second sabbatical after 20 years of service at Riverdale. The cash equivalent of the sabbatical is approximately $48,000)
- Post Step 25: $134,906
To apply for this position, please click on the red “Apply for this Job” button. Please submit a resume and cover letter. If there are pronouns we should use in potential future communications, we invite you to share that information with us. For information about this position and all open positions, please visit the Careers page of Riverdale’s website.
Benefits of Full Time Work at Riverdale Country School
Working at Riverdale Country School is a purposeful and meaningful career choice that comes with many benefits including:
Transportation: Shuttle service is available to/from the 242nd St / Broadway subway station. Limited stops are also available near transit hubs in Manhattan including the Metro North Harlem Station and subway lines – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R, A, B, C, and D. If there is need in the community, we can also run a shuttle from the Henry Hudson Parkway / 246th St bus stop which connects to the #7, #10, and Express Buses to/from Manhattan.
Professional Development: A generous professional-development budget provides for conferences, skills training, and onsite training in areas such as mindfulness, coaching, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Grants and Stipends: All employees are eligible for Frankel Fellow grants, known as “passion grants,” which pay for enrichment activities. More than 120 grants have been made to faculty and staff since the program started in 2014. Stipends are available for coaching, affinity group facilitation, advising clubs with significant out-of-school time, and chaperoning trips (including global trips!).
Sabbatical: Full time teaching faculty are eligible for a sabbatical after 10 years of employment.
Health Benefits: Riverdale offers and subsidizes health, dental, and vision insurance. In addition, the school offers a flexible spending account through which employees can use pre-tax dollars to pay for health-related expenses.
Retirement: Employees are eligible to join our Defined Contribution retirement plan through TIAA. The school contributes 7% of an employee's annual salary to their retirement account.
Vacation: Riverdale Country School has a generous time-off policy for staff in addition to vacations afforded by the school calendar.