Principal Gift Officer
Hill Campus /
Development Office – Development Office /
Riverdale is a Pre-K through grade 12 independent school in New York City committed to empowering lifelong learners by developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is imperative for providing the best learning environment for students as they navigate an increasingly complicated world. The school enrolls about 1,200 students and about 39% of our student body are students of color.
Currently in the final year of a $100 million comprehensive campaign, Riverdale seeks a Principal Gift Officer to join a dynamic and highly productive office. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the successful candidate will help manage a leadership-gift fundraising plan, with an emphasis on donor relationships, solicitation activities, and stewardship of high-capacity prospects.
The Principal Gift Officer will work closely with fellow members of the development team, in addition to the Chief Development Officer and Head of School, to ensure the success of the current campaign and future fundraising goals. They will design and execute cultivation and solicitation strategies to secure major gifts from a variety of constituents including alumni, current and past parents, grandparents, and foundations. They will proactively manage a pool of approximately 150 current and prospective donors with the capacity and inclination to make five- to seven-figure commitments.
The successful candidate will have experience working and cultivating relationships with diverse constituencies and will have a demonstrated proficiency soliciting major gifts. They should possess a commitment to Riverdale Country School’s mission, have a passion for education, enjoy multitasking, and work collaboratively with colleagues, alumni, parents, volunteers, and other members of the Riverdale community.
- Develop strategies and cultivate relationships that lead to the solicitation and stewardship of leadership gifts
- Verify pledge commitments and gift agreements; oversee and execute pledge collection
- Identify and prioritize campaign prospects; participate in prospect assessment processes
- Work with development colleagues to plan and execute relevant cultivation events and donor recognition opportunities
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years fundraising experience, ideally in an independent school, college, or university environment
- Proven track record of donor solicitation and demonstrated success soliciting and closing major gifts
- Appreciation of Riverdale’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Veracross or comparable fundraising database
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders of all levels; high level of energy, creativity, and flexibility
- Capacity to both work independently and thrive in a team environment
- Willingness and ability to travel and work outside normal working hours, as needed
Interested applicants should send their resumes and cover letters to Rachel Horowitz, Development Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org