Benefits & HRIS Coordinator
Bronx, NY /
All School Administration – Finance and Human Resource /
Riverdale Country School is a Pre-K through grade 12 independent school in New York City committed to empowering lifelong learners by developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good. Riverdale seeks to reflect the diversity of the New York metropolitan area in its students, faculty, and staff. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) is the foundational core of community-building that supports the school’s mission and empowers all community members to be their whole selves and thrive-- especially those who historically have been and continue to be marginalized because of their cultural, ethnic, racial, linguistic, national, gender, sexual, spiritual, or socioeconomic identities and their physical, mental, or emotional well-being. Riverdale enrolls about 1,200 students who collectively reside in 117 different zip codes. Approximately 44% of our student body identify as students of color.
We seek to employ people who engage in all aspects of work with a student-centered approach, an open mind, passion, and a willingness to support the greater community. At Riverdale we recognize that the work of DEIB is iterative and requires a consistent commitment. Ideal candidates display that commitment in their work and/or in their approach to teaching and learning.
Job Summary: The Benefits and HRIS Coordinator is a member of our Human Resources team and reports to the Director of Human Resources. This is a full-time, 12-month position available immediately. The successful candidate is a team player, willing to pitch in to serve the overall needs of the school as necessary. In addition, they will be an effective communicator who possesses problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic and the ability to empathize with the views and actions of colleagues.
- Manage comprehensive employee benefits programs for the organization.
- Serve as a primary point of person for all employees regarding benefits eligibility, claims resolution, and plan summary explanations.
- Collaborate with staff and faculty on the open enrollment process and update plans and programs in the ADP workforce.
- Process all leaves of absence and maintain an effective tracking system (WC, FMLA, STD, LTD, Parental Leave & NYPFL).
- Manage all information regarding health and wellness benefits and all compliance issues surrounding benefit plans.
- Responsible for reconciliation and timely payment of all benefit bills and preparing benefit-related reports.
- Ensure all employee benefits information is updated in the ADP workforce.
- Maintain data integrity in systems through ongoing analysis.
- Ensure consistent administration of HR policies and practices with Riverdale Country School.
- Strong proficiency in Google Apps, MS Excel, and HRIS systems.
- Familiarity with Veracross school database system is a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with all constituents in a school environment.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- High level of organizational skills with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2-4 years of related experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Working understanding of HR principles, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment.
- Proficient with Google Suite.
- Proficient with online virtual technologies like Zoom, Google Meet, etc.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws.
- Commitment to equity and justice, including knowledge and skills related to cultural competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or business administration/management
- Minimum 2+ years demonstrated experience administering employee benefits, including knowledge of Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, LTD, STD, commuter benefits, along with HIPPA regulations, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, and other federal, state, and local regulations. Practical experience with HRIS administration.
- Previous experience working in a school, higher education, or academic environment is a plus.
$75,000 - $85,000 a year
To apply for this position, please click on the red “Apply for this Job” button. Please submit a resume and cover letter. If there are pronouns we should use in potential future communications, we invite you to share that information with us. For information about this position and all open positions, please visit the Careers page of Riverdale’s website.
Benefits of Full Time Work at Riverdale Country School
Working at Riverdale Country School is a purposeful and meaningful career choice that comes with many benefits including:
Transportation: Shuttle service is available to/from the 242nd St / Broadway subway station. Limited stops are also available near transit hubs in Manhattan including the Metro North Harlem Station and subway lines – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R, A, B, C, and D. If there is need in the community, we can also run a shuttle from the Henry Hudson Parkway / 246th St bus stop which connects to the #7, #10, and Express Buses to/from Manhattan.
Professional Development: A generous professional-development budget provides for conferences, skills training, and onsite training in areas such as mindfulness, coaching, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Grants and Stipends: All employees are eligible for Frankel Fellow grants, known as “passion grants,” which pay for enrichment activities. More than 120 grants have been made to faculty and staff since the program started in 2014. Stipends are available for coaching, affinity group facilitation, advising clubs with significant out-of-school time, and chaperoning trips (including global trips!).
Sabbatical: Full time teaching faculty are eligible for a sabbatical after 10 years of employment.
Health Benefits: Riverdale offers and subsidizes health, dental, and vision insurance. In addition, the school offers a flexible spending account through which employees can use pre-tax dollars to pay for health-related expenses.
Retirement: Employees are eligible to join our Defined Contribution retirement plan through TIAA. The school contributes 7% of an employee's annual salary to their retirement account.
Vacation: Riverdale Country School has a generous time-off policy for staff in addition to vacations afforded by the school calendar.