Manager of Policy Communications
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Regulatory /
At Rivian, we’re striving to keep the world adventurous forever through reimagining of what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, Northern and Southern California, Canada and the UK, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. Development of our first set of products is nearly complete with start of production scheduled for 2021.
This is what you’ll do:
· Work with the Policy team to develop and lead campaigns, third party engagement, and advocacy tools to further lobby for Rivian top business priorities
· Develop tactics and implement strategies that include:
o understanding the political and issue landscape at the federal and state levels;
o identifying key threats, opportunities, and political realities; taking into account the competitive landscape to ensure Rivian understands the most likely tactics of competition;
o engaging and recruiting third-party stakeholders (conventional/unconventional) & tactics for engagement (op-eds, sponsorships, twitter engagement plans, etc.);
o developing proactive and reactive communication plans;
o developing and implementing marketing campaigns targeted at policymakers;
o effectively utilizing earned media to Twitter, Linkedin, etc.;
o research information and support from academic validators and conduct opposition research.
· Cross team with various Rivian divisions, including Legal, Corporate Strategy, Finance, Engineering, Manufacturing and others with respect to tactics and strategies most supportive of Rivian in the policy arena.
this is what you’ll need:
· A minimum of 8-10 years of direct experience engaging policymakers, legislators and/or regulators in the areas of transportation, clean energy, or technology.
· A track record of superior accomplishment, achievement and ability (results matter!).
· A thorough understanding of policy, legislative procedure and regulatory processes with an ability to draft, read, understand and work with statutes and regulations.
· A proven track record of leadership and autonomy in a fast-paced and dynamic atmosphere with the ability to work in a team as well as cooperatively with a diverse group of partners and stakeholders both internally and externally.
· Familiarity with transportation, energy and environmental issues.
· A strong work ethic and “can-do” spirit.
· Demonstrated ability to work on diverse issues simultaneously
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognized & reputable educational institution.
· Willingness to travel (potential for in excess of 50%).
This is whAT WOULD MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
· Direct experience in the electric vehicle area including serving in a similar role for the electric vehicle division of an established OEM or for an EV company.
· Direct experience with a technology start up organization.
· Direct policy experience from the government perspective (i.e., knowing how the bureaucracy operates).
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Southern California or Washington, D.C. area
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.