Senior Battery Materials Engineer, Welding and Joining Technology
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Responsible to assist ESS design engineering in identification and selection of welding processes.
· Responsible to develop new welding processes to meet future design needs
· Responsible to define and execute test programs for establishing design values for given processes and materials.
· Responsible to Create/maintain welding process specifications.
· Lead consultation with design engineering and manufacturing as necessary.
· Subject matter expert for welding on ESS Advanced Engineering team
· Support on-going welding application challenges.
· Advise manufacturing with respect to manufacturing issues and process or material changes
· Support material and process validation for all new weld joints
· Support material selection, validation, and process development for all new materials
· Develop new welds that support our ever-advancing design requirements
· Develop and document Rivian Materials Standards for new materials
· Work with suppliers on new material development
· Develop and manage material validation for new materials
· Manage PLM Battery System and component attribute data in Enovia, including meeting cost & mass targets.
· Manage and conduct design reviews as necessary for Battery system targets.
· Work with ESS CAE team to define and submit simulation requests as needed for design validation and correlation with test.
· Participate and be responsible for weld component and system DFMEAs.
· Work with Rivian Validation team to develop DVP from component requirements and DFMEA.
· Support prototype builds to execute development testing and support development vehicle program.
· Work with suppliers on component DFM to reduce cost and improve quality and reliability.
· Work with Rivian manufacturing team on ESS system and component DFA to improve manufacturability.
· Work with Rivian Validation Team and design & release engineering to support pre and post-test analyses
· Support component interface analysis and testing
· Support ongoing product development efforts for cost reduction, design improvements, failure root cause analyses, warranty claim analyses
This is what you’ll need:
· PHD or Advanced degree in Welding Engineering
· Degrees in other engineering disciplines, such as Materials or Mechanical Engineering, or sufficient relevant experience will also be considered.
· 7+ Years’ experience
· Extensive knowledge and experience in relevant welding processes, which include Laser Welding, Friction Stir Welding, roll welding, Resistance Spot Welding, in both Aluminum and Steel Alloys.
· Extensive knowledge and experience with joining method selection based on structural requirements, materials, and cost.
· Experience in creation of process specifications to ensure production processes meet engineering design intent, production issue trouble shooting and failure analysis
· Strong understanding of weld process to joint metallurgy and performance relationships.
· Experience with release engineering including CAD design, GD&T, and PLM interface.
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.