Upper Body Structures DRE
Irvine, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Body /
This is what you’ll do:
· You will be responsible for the development and releasing of Body Structures content. Responsible for: component production release; creating CAD to support production design; manage testing, suppliers, CAD, contractors, and other development function; deliver to program milestones; support development and completion of all requirements for production; being the owner of a number of components across the vehicle you will own component cost, weight, and attribute delivery along with other functions.
· Production release responsibility of Body Structures content across the Body. Cradle to grave ownership.
· Lead collaborative development of structures content including interface with body engineering, studio design, and customer experience teams
· Responsible for component release for structures content throughout program lifecycle, including: concept design, supplier engagement, BOM management, systems requirements, simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and production support
· Supporting all supplier selection and development with heavy interface to purchasing and from supplier engagement
· Supporting the development of best practices for design and release engineering
· Developing and managing your part system, subsystem, and component information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment
· Engage in debate and discussions during all body design reviews as the owner of the structures content
· Be a champion of good, fundamental design in the body system and across the vehicle
· You will support the development of the project requirements, DFMEA’s, DVP’s & any Functional Safety requirements through to sign-off by the relevant SME.
this is what you’ll need:
· Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent skills and expertise are required
· Knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
· Understanding of structures component systems and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems. The candidate should have a diverse knowledge base of structures materials such as Aluminum, Steel, Composites, Fiber reinforced plastics & Moldings
· CAD design & manufacturing process experience of body structures content including extrusions, castings, stampings, forgings, injection moldings, press-moldings, compression moldings, VIM, RIM, RTM or related vehicle components & technologies – Catia experience preferred but not required
· An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming, working on components that are not part of the structures system, and sharing models as required to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
· A strong understanding of the first-principle physics & requirements of structures content – the loads, forces, and overall function of the system
· Familiarity with DFMEAs, DVPs and Functional Safety requirements
· A system approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
· Develop a high level of technical competence within the in-house team in order to provide a significant and immediate DFM support to the design process without necessarily relying on suppliers
· Once suppliers are engaged, deliver prompt and accurate DFM input into the design process to achieve RFT releases and to avoid styling process delays
· Supporting all supplier selection and development with heavy interfaces to the purchasing and commercial team
· Exhibiting the Rivian 101 in everything that you do
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Body - Structures
Location: Irvine, California
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.