Associate General Counsel, Litigation
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Legal /
The Associate General Counsel, Litigation will build and lead Rivian’s global litigation group. The ideal candidate will have a plan to develop a world class litigation team with the expertise to manage a variety of litigation scenarios including supplier disputes, product liability, warranty challenges, regulatory enforcement actions, employment and complex litigation, including intellectual property. The team will be tasked with Rivian’s litigation docket across state, federal, and international jurisdictions. The Associate General Counsel, Litigation will report to the General Counsel and interface directly with corporate and operational leadership to develop, implement and maintain Rivian’s litigation strategy.
This is what you’ll do:
· Manage all aspects of Rivian’s global litigation matters, from the initial phases of investigation, witness preparation, deposition and discovery to trial, settlement, arbitration and appeal.
· Draft and coordinate litigation-related documentation, including motions, briefs, pleadings, litigation holds, interrogatory responses, privilege logs, settlement agreements and protective orders.
· Oversee and direct the implementation of litigation risk mitigation and management processes throughout the organization. This includes the development of standards and practices with respect to indemnification, jurisdiction, governing law and dispute resolution procedures in contracts and agreements, as well as conducting ongoing litigation risk assessments.
· Evaluate, select and manage outside counsel, including negotiating standard and alternative fee structures and maintaining costs and expenses within budget.
· Develop and deliver training regarding dispute avoidance, dispute resolution and litigation avoidance practices and procedures to the Legal, Procurement and other business units, including the importance and limits of confidentiality and attorney-client privilege.
· Provide litigation strategy, counseling, direction and regular feedback regarding the status of important litigation matters to internal clients in respect of procurement, sales and marketing, consumer protection, product liability, real estate and construction, facilities, and other businesses and operations of the company.
· Manage Rivian’s responses to subpoenas and third party requests for information.
· Develop policies and best practices for complying with discovery and document retention/litigation hold obligations in the most cost-effective manner possible.
· Communicate with leadership and stakeholders regarding organizational litigation risks and status of ongoing litigation.
· Manage and oversee the maintenance and disclosure of Rivian’s contingent liability reserves.
· Build a world class litigation team that works collaboratively, efficiently and effectively.
this is what you’ll need:
· J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school, and an active member in good standing of the California Bar (or eligible to practice as a California registered in-house counsel).
· At least fifteen (15) years of litigation experience in a law firm and/or as an in-house counsel.
· Extensive experience in all phases of litigation and on a variety of subject matters, automotive, technology and manufacturing preferred.
· Strong leadership, communication and client management skills.
· Excellent drafting and negotiation skills, with attention to detail.
· Ability to work collaboratively in a team oriented atmosphere.
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
· Ability to work independently and with cross-functional clients.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Legal & IP
Location: Irvine, CA
We Are Rivian
Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Starting from a clean sheet has allowed us to learn from and leverage what’s been done in the past while giving us the freedom to reimagine mobility from the ground up. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways.
We believe in the power of adventure. While a vehicle can’t make someone adventurous, it can nurture that fundamental desire in each of us to go places we’ve never been and do things we’ve never done — thoughtfully and sustainably. Science and invention depend on our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.
Our development centers are located in Plymouth, MI, San Jose, CA, Irvine, CA and Surrey, England. In addition to these four locations, we have a modern manufacturing facility in Normal, IL and will begin production of our R1T and R1S in 2020.
The Adventure Is Just Beginning
Doing something different is never easy. It requires courage, optimism and grit. Core to delivering on our vision is building a team of curious individuals, determined to make a positive impact on the world. This means challenging ourselves, stretching beyond the bounds of conventional thinking, reframing old problems, seeking new solutions and operating comfortably in a space of uncertainty.
Our team has a diverse set of backgrounds— but at heart, we are adventurers on a mission to move the world in a new direction. We’re currently looking for thinkers and doers with a strong sense of adventure to join us on this journey.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.