Advanced Development Engineer - Powertrain
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Propulsion /
This is what you’ll do:
· Design of gearbox and driveline manufacturing systems with the focus on design criteria and processes related to manufacturing and assembly.
· Identify and evaluate 3D and 2D design for manufacturability, cost, assembly and production methods
· Assists/advises Design Engineers as to the best possible design for manufacturability to ensure product Quality and most effective manufacturing methods
· Review and coordination of process documentation, including process stack sheets, process routings, PFMEAs, process flow diagrams, and error proofing plans.
· Perform research, design and development of manufacturing processes including production flow, assembly methods and production equipment
· Specify and develop the end of line testing and other error control system with supplier and internal team.
· Act as technical liaison between engineering and manufacturing operations
· Provide technical support to plant operations
· Development of cost estimates for new and major programs, often working from early concept cross sections, concept drawings, concurrent engineering discussions, and evolving assumptions
· Coordinate and participate in Virtual Build events and line equipment transfers/commissioning
· Lead and coordinate production rebuild plan and method.
· Lead service and warranty plan and strategy
this is what you’ll need:
· Minimum 7 years of relevant experience required
· The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior Management
· Expertise in the following areas: Machining of rotating components, Casting and Machining of prismatic components such as housings, Manufacturing and machining of gears and splines, Assembly of transmissions/gearbox/axle or similar systems.
· An understanding of machine tool specifications, including the ability to document this knowledge in RFQ packages and Best Practice documents, and to participate in specification revisions
· An understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and how-to application functionally and for manufacturing
· Experience in implementation of major production launches (entire production lines or plants)
· General understanding of materials and metallurgy and the relation to machining methods.
· Experience in error proofing and implementation of end of line testing systems in production applications
· Basic CAD knowledge, including ability to review designs within CATIA
· An understanding of gearbox and driveline fundamentals
· Familiarity with QS and TS quality systems requirements
· An understanding of lean manufacturing concepts
· The ability to work independently, and to coach and mentor others
· Willingness to travel, especially during times of peak demand
· Dynamic attitude with desire to learn and expand your knowledge and capability
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Powertrain Engineering
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.