Director, Hardware Design
Palo Alto, CA /
IT and Technology – Electrical Hardware /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Define and develop the core brains of our vehicles to enable the latest and next generation vehicle platforms.
- Lead a team of engineers across multiple California sites in design, development, test, and product integration.
· Be responsible for the entire hardware development process, supporting engineering discipline, and best engineering practices.
· Work Closely across the organization (architecture, software, integration, test, safety) to refine and balance requirements to develop a complete hardware product.
· Work with senior leadership to develop Hardware team's long term product strategy and performance standards
· Develop the performance and deliverables of your direct reports
· Inspire engineers to perform at their peak.
- Maintain communication at all levels of the organization.
- Develop and ensure resource and staffing plans and budgets are met
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· 8+ years Managing a High Performance team of engineers in multiple disciplines
· 12+ years of hardware design or technology specification
· Deep first principles understanding of technology and its implementation
· Strong understanding of design for thermal performance, emi/emc, and environmental requirements
· Deep understanding of EV/DV/PV for automotive qualification
· Experience working in high performance/high reliability products
· Solid understanding of the product development process
· Solid track record of delivering finished products to volume production
· Strong understanding of packaging limitations, weight, power, and performance trade-offs
· Strong experience leading teams across multiple sites
· Familiarity with the software development process
· Very Strong Spatial and packaging vision.
· Safety and Reliability design experience
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Hardware Systems Engineering
Location: Irvine, CA or San Jose/Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.