Powertrain Dynamometer Techician
Plymouth, MI /
Propulsion – Powertrain /
This role will be focused on maintaining our prototype/test vehicles, test rigs and dynos, performing routine maintenance, complex repair, and collaboration with our hardware team upgrading components. This position requires great attention to detail, excellent cross-team communication and documentation. Must be comfortable solving difficult challenges, ready to roll up the sleeves to expedite repair with a constant eye for quality. Must have experience with OEM diagnostic methodologies, and a logical troubleshooting approach.
This is what you’ll do:
• Operate and maintain large dynamometers (for vehicle and powertrain system level testing)
• Work closely with System Engineers on vehicle test-plans or other test property upgrades.
• Be technical lead and provide direction to lab personnel (both in house and outside) in setting up and executing accelerated mechanical tests
• Select and install instrumentation needed to collect response data from product during testing (accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure gauges, thermocouples, thermistors, hygrometers, voltage drop sense leads, etc.)
• Build and setup test rigs/dynos for mechanical and/or electrical tests across multiple Powertrain and Thermal teams
• Perform routine OEM maintenance to complex mechanical and electrical repairs.
• Perform diagnosis and repair of prototype vehicle’s electrical/mechanical/software systems
• Document and communicate findings through process and systems
• Take ownership and escalate data or findings when appropriate
• Perform quality service and repair, work cross functionally, and bring a can-do team spirit.
• Provide feedback, create and implement processes and suggestions to new and/or improved workshop standards, protocols, and processes.
This is what you’ll need:
• 7+ years OEM Technician Experience working directly in test cells and/or large dynamometer systems
• 2+ years Electric Vehicle experience
• Expertise in instrumentation (Thermocouples, RTDs, Strain Gauges, Accelerometers, Hygrometers, Pressure Gauges, Flow Meters)
• Expertise environmental test set up and test error proofing
• Expertise in mechanical tooling and integrations
• Knowledge of motor, inverter, and gearbox concepts
• Knowledge of propulsion system and thermal (coolant and refrigerant) systems
• Knowledge of Electric Vehicle safety
• Work under strenuous / awkward positions throughout the working day.
• Operate a variety of scan tools, diagnostic equipment and common automotive test equipment
• Experience with various automotive repair software and programs
• Work in a team environment and communicate with fellow technicians
• Basic workshop etiquette, provide verbal and writing communication across all teams
• Strong diagnostic skills to determine vehicle problems
This is where you’ll work:
· Department: Powertrain
· Location: Plymouth, MI
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.