Charging Systems Engineer
Carson, CA /
Propulsion – Electric Power Conversion /
This is what you’ll do:
· Develop and document requirements for electric vehicle battery charging products (both AC Chargers and DC Fast Chargers) compliant with all applicable regulations, UL, ISO, IEC and other industry standards.
· Serve as the primary interface between the Charger Development team and the Vehicle Systems team to ensure a successful charger integration effort.
· Lead DFMEA efforts with the development team using Rivian’s standard FMEA software tool.
· Lead Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis and Functional Safety efforts focused on the Charger in its intended application.
· Develop a comprehensive Design Verification plan which employs test methods at various levels (SIL, HIL, Charger and Vehicle Charging System).
· Stay abreast of current regulations and industry standards impacting Charging systems.
This is what you’ll need:
· B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with electric vehicle battery charging systems.
· In depth understanding of the regulatory requirements, UL, ISO, IEC and industry standards applicable to utility connected electric vehicle battery charging products.
· Understanding of the ISO 15118 vehicle charging protocol.
· Experience using requirement management tools such as DOORs or Jama.
· Experience leading DFMEAs and experience using DFMEA software tools (such as IQRM or Plato).
· Understanding of the Functional Safety process and standards relevant to safety critical systems and to Chargers in particular.
· Experience or understanding of hardware and software validation testing at various levels (SIL, HIL, Charger and Vehicle Charging System).
· Participation on charging standard committees a plus.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment.
· Good team player with great communication skills.
· Self-motivated: Demonstrated ability to set direction and guide the team towards it.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Electric Power Conversion
Location: Carson, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.