Senior Homologation Engineer - EU
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Regulatory /
This is what you’ll do:
- Take primary responsibility for all interactions necessary to achieve European Whole Vehicle Type Approval of category M1 and N1 vehicles:
- Assist design and engineering teams with interpreting regulatory requirements, including seeking out interpretations from technical services and type approval agencies as needed.
- Negotiate worst-case test agreements, develop detailed test plans, and schedule witness tests for each subject, including European crash avoidance and environmental regulations.
- Oversee development and population of all necessary information documents and certificates of conformity.
- Develop the European conformity of production plan and oversee all necessary audits, tests and inspections, and as required, ensure appropriate corrective measures are taken.
- Track and report homologation status.
- Monitor product changes and obtain revisions to subject and whole vehicle type approval certificates as needed.
- Along with the Homologation and Safety teams, ensure Rivian products are designed to meet global active and passive regulations and achieve global consumer ratings targets:
- Monitor the status of applicable global regulations (e.g. FMVSS, ECE, GB) and consumer ratings protocols (e.g. US and Euro NCAP, IIHS, RCAR) as they are updated.
- Communicate current and upcoming requirements to the engineering team, through formal and informal design reviews, and in our requirements management tool.
- Assist in scheduling and overseeing all regulatory testing for global markets.
this is what you’ll need:
- 3-5 years’ experience in homologation at an OEM, preferably on an electric vehicle program.
· A robust understanding of the entire European Whole Vehicle Type Approval process.
· A strong understanding of European/ECE regulatory subjects including active and/or passive safety, and environmental regulations applicable to electric vehicles.
· Deep curiosity to understand the product, how the regulations may be applied and to find creative solutions.
· Understanding of regulatory requirements for non-European ECE-based markets strongly preferred.
· Experience with a formal requirements management tool (jama, DOORS, etc.) and systems engineering principles preferred.
· Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships across the Rivian organization as well as with government authorities and test labs.
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Flexible, but preference for Plymouth, MI
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, San Jose, Irvine, and the UK, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.